1976 85 Johnson exhaust leg gasket?

Bassman86

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all first time Posing here I've relied on this sites information many times and would to thank everyone. I bought an old boat which came with I believed a 85 Johnson 1976 it didn't have any model numbers on the mount and I checked everywhere they should of been on the motor and I couldn't find anything so i am relying on the previous owners info. The parts match up with manuals and descriptions until I came to replacing the water impeller and gaskets in the lower unit. Their is an exhaust leg rubber seal in the lower unit but I can't find it in any manuals or forums or parts diagrams for a 1976 85 Johnson.. So I feel something isn't adding up. Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks a lot.. Also if there is any definite way to tell what engine I have it be awesome like certain parts or something..

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 85 Johnson exhaust leg gasket?

If you're speaking of the rubber seal that goes on the bottom of the exhaust tuning tube and seats in the large exhaust cavity of the lower unit. That would be seal #314937. It's listed on the midsection page.

Look for a core plug on the power head that looks like a quarter size freeze out plug... it may have the model & serial number imprinted upon it.

Bassman86

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a lot for a good response and so fast I tried locating the area on the motor but had no luck do you by chance know the exact location? And I google the part number for that seal and I can't find one instance that says itll fit what I believe my unit is., there seems to be two similar seal 314937 and 320961??. I believe your answer is right just not sure my unit is what I think it is. Thanks alot., any info at all helps

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, I can't think of any easier way to describe where it's located and the part number of it. If your engine is a V4 model, that's it.

Bassman86

Seaman Apprentice

Okay I'll order that seal. It was torn up it looked like it wasn't seated right when the previous owner put the unit back together and it got damaged. I'll look for the plug in the block tomorrow again. Your answer was great and fast thank you very much I love this place and people like you. Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Use Bombardier 3M Product #847 sealer to adhere the inside portion of the seal to the exhaust tuning tube, then after it's stuck good, grease the outer portion so that it sill slide properly into the lower unit sealing area.