'77 Johnson 115 Steering Tight

polvaultr

Cadet
So I recently purchased my first boat. Old '79 Renken w/ above listed O/B. Heck of a deal, with some cosmetic TLC needed. I consider myself to be fairly mechanically inclined, and have learned a lot while performing the minor repairs. Here is where it gets a little sticky, with every possible pun intended... :facepalm:

When I got the boat home, the steering was "seized," but broke free with a little back & forth on the wheel. Since then, I have trolled the forums here, as well as watched some videos online regarding greasing up the steering cable. With it just being myself, I have pulled the cable from the motor as much as possible, and cleaned and greased to the best of my ability. I have been on other boats that have almost power-steering like ability (can palm the wheel), but mine still requires a good bit of "umph" to turn it.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Removed linkage bolt and verified the motor itself moves freely
2. Turned wheel all the way to starboard to expose as much of the pin as possible.
2a. Wiped off pin and greased with marine-grade lithium grease
3. Turned wheel all the way to port and pulled steering cable as far as I can to expose that side
3a. Duplicated 2a on starboard side
4. Worked wheel lock-to-lock multiple times
5. Scratched head, took a break, repeated 4, scratched head some more and decided to seek assistance from more experienced boaters.
6. Contemplated contacting dad who has been boating for 30+ years
6a. Realized dad has sail boat w/ rudder and probably cannot assist.
7. Posted this thread. hoping for a miracle.

Here's another question... I know, from the sleeve on steering cable, that it is a 15' cable. How do I know what type I need?

I have also seen threads referencing using a 12 gauge shotgun cleaning brush to remove as much crud from the sleeve as possible. What are everyone's thoughts on this? I'm thinking using a cloth brush will remove some, but not all, while using a wire brush would scratch the inside & therefore allow rust to form.

Lots of information, but here's what I'm looking for...

1. Does it sound like I just need to spend a little bit & replace the cable as I'm not sure if it is the original?
1a. If so, how do I determine what type I need?
2. If a more thorough cleaning is in order, cloth or wire shotgun brush?

I appreciate anyone who is willing to read through my novel & respond with "here's what I've done that works" or "I'm an old pro at this & here's what you need to do."

Thanks!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: '77 Johnson 115 Steering Tight

Many have grease nipples there or holes with filler screws you can back out and add a nipple to.
Cloth and a autoshop degreaser works for cleaning for me

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: '77 Johnson 115 Steering Tight

Most marine steering cables are not made to be greased by the user. Usually on the older cables, the stiffness is not from lack of lubrication. Most of the time, the inner cable frays in the areas where it bends in the boat. The small frayed ends of the inner cable start to catch on the outer casing. Grease just won't help. Replace the cable. About 1 foot from the cable end, it is heat stamped with the cable part number. Take that part number to your marine dealer and see if it is still produced. If not, you'll have to buy a cable kit, complete with a new cable and steering gear helm unit.