1998 Johnson 150HP Ocean Runner Ignition Issues

Johnec86

Recruit
I've only had this motor a couple weeks and it ran great the previous two times I've used it. Yesterday, it started up fine and ran for about 30 minutes of start and stop use but then just died while running. Whenever I tried to restart the motor, it would hit and die but would not stay running. I pumped the bulb until hard but the motor still would hit and die. After a couple attempts it would no longer even hit. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and the motor will start but die almost immediately. I pulled the bowl screw from all 6 carbs and they are full of fuel. I also purchased new plugs and they are set at .40. The inline filter is clean. Plugs are sparking. I'm lost on this one.... Thank you in advance for any help offered.

Last edited:

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1998 Johnson 150HP Ocean Runner Ignition Issues

hit your fuel pump.

Johnec86

Recruit

Update: I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and the motor will start but die almost immediately. I pulled the bowl screw from all 6 carbs and they are full of fuel. I also purchased new plugs and they are set at .40. The inline filter is clean. Plugs are sparking. I'm lost on this one.... Thank you in advance for any help offered.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That motor will have a vapor seperator between the primer bulb and the OMS fuel pump. So you cannot prime the carbs directly. If the carbs are full of fuel, and she won't run, either the spark is bad or the carbs are clogged.

First take a compression test. You are sure the plugs are sparking? If so, and compression is good, odds are it is a carb issue.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

hit your kill switch

Johnec86

Recruit

I hit the fuel pump and kill switch (I'd beat on the motor with a sledge hammer if I could afford it)

Johnec86

Recruit

That motor will have a vapor seperator between the primer bulb and the OMS fuel pump. So you cannot prime the carbs directly. If the carbs are full of fuel, and she won't run, either the spark is bad or the carbs are clogged.

First take a compression test. You are sure the plugs are sparking? If so, and compression is good, odds are it is a carb issue.

Thank you for the help. I'll post my findings.

Johnec86

Recruit

Turned out that I had water in the gas. I appreciate all the helpful comments.