Loss of RPM at WOT - 1997 Evinrude 200hp

lightningflash

Recruit
I have a Hydra Sports 2250cc with a carbed 1997 Evinrude 200hp OceanRunner that I just bought just few weeks ago. unknown hours.

Starts right up and runs great. Compression is good, new spark plugs and I decarbed it last week.

Runs great up to 5200 rpm which is very close to WOT with the 15x17p prop I have on there. When I push the throttle all the way open it seems to bog down and it loses some RPMs like down to 4600. If I back off and then go back to nearly WOT it will run fine right at 5200. Just doesn't like the WOT.

Any thought or ideas to check? Don't want to hurt it.

Brian

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Loss of RPM at WOT - 1997 Evinrude 200hp

sounds like a timing linkage issue. at WOT, the carb should be wide open (i.e. valve horizontal) - sounds like the linkage is off and WOT pushes the valve past this point somehow...

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

on new to me motor i always like to take a look at everything generally, its called peace of mind. read the sticky at the top and take a look at your fuel system, lines, tank, gas, pump etc.

lightningflash

Recruit

sounds like a timing linkage issue. at WOT, the carb should be wide open (i.e. valve horizontal) - sounds like the linkage is off and WOT pushes the valve past this point somehow...

so this would be addressed as part of link/sync procedure, correct?