1982 Evinrude light metallic Blue paint on 9.9 match?

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been stripping off a bad camo paint job from a motor I picked up a few weeks ago.
I'm looking for a good match to the OEM color. I tried the Moeller paint listed and the dealer says that original paint isn't available. I tried two Moeller spray can colors, one is too dark and too much on the green side, the other is too light, more a silver with a blue tint.

Does anyone know of a close automotive touch up match I can grab in the parts store?
I'm thinking maybe an older Chevy light blue? (The blue they used in the 70's on the Nova comes to mind off hand.)
Has anyone tried or used a particular color that matched really close?

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 1982 Evinrude light metallic Blue paint on 9.9 match?

i painted few 9.9/15 johnsons, they were white.used powder paint, hardened in high temp chamber,

i would suggest you to buy paint, acrylic type, resist for fuel.its availably in auto store

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Johnsons are easy, even if the white is off a shade its not noticeable.

The Evinrude is blue and so far the closest match seems like a mid 70's chevy blue but its lighter and a bit brighter.
Its also hard to tell what the original paint looked like too, its been sanded and painted over.
I don't mind it being off a little, I just don't want it to be real obvious its been repainted.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I drove almost 80 miles today round trip to both get parts and pic up paint.
I lucked out and bought several complete parts motors for a few other projects I've got going but the paint was a waste of time.
They had two shades of blue, one matched the later 80's models, more of a silver blue color, and the other most likely matched either the I/O blue or the blue used back in the late 50's. Their 025454 light blue metallic is closest to the newer 85 and up light blue motors.

I took a trip to a body shop supply a few towns away from here and they both took pics of a sample of the original paint and we did some color chip searching. The closest current color is Ford Ice Blue from 2003 or so.
They used it on the Crown Victoria. However, not a single company offers it in a spray can.
I guess I see why so many of these things get painted camo.

I did find a good match to the older Evinrude blue, which is more blue than the newer colors, I may just use that and have to live with it.
I thought about having paint mixed but I've got too many different years to repaint, I'd have to buy 5 different colors, then I'd need hardener, thinner, and clear coat, it would cost me $80 or more per motor.

I miss the days when you could go to Pep Boys and search through the paint isle for a good match, but they only carry about 30 choices now in tiny 8oz cans for $9 per can. Even if they had a match, it would take 10 of them to paint one motor.
I tried Autozone, Advance, Pep Boys, and Napa, none of them had 12oz cans of touch up paint, Napa will mix any color you want in a can but at $28 per can its not cost effective. Gone are the days I guess of full size touch up spray paint?

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i repinted dark blue evinrude 9.9 made in 1989,soon Im going to post on you tube, if you like it

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm trying to keep these all original, or as close to original as I can get.
From what I'm seeing at the local dealers and auto parts stores my choices are limited.
If I were to change the color, I'd go with white, I can buy all the white I want cheap at Walmart.
(I repainted my 15hp Johnson with Walmart $.98 per can white four years ago and it still looks like new.)
I used the Walmart white on the hood for the 1982 9.9hp, I'm waiting for a roll of hood gasket material to arrive first though before applying the new decals).
I'm hoping to have under $100 in this thing total by the time I'm done, so far I've got a water pump, lower unit seal kit, decal set, and a bottle of lower unit lube in it. Plus about 30 hours of cleaning, sanding, and assembling.