2001 Evinrude 115 HP FICHT fuel pump problem ??

billbrach

Cadet
Hi All,

Long time watcher, first time poster.

I just bought a boat with the aforementioned motor. Motor easily starts and idles, even idles fine in gear. Over a period of a couple of minutes, RPM's drop maybe 50-100 RPM. I can squeeze the primer bulb, and the RPM's go back up. Trying to run the throttle up either under load, or with the shift-into-gear disabled by the button on the shifter, motor RPM's will go up and then engine dies in a few seconds. An oddity is that the motor does not smoothly go up in RPM, but seems to jump to a higher RPM than you would expect. Squeezing the primer bulb does *NOT* keep the engine running at higher RPM's.

On another note, I can hear something running at the back of the engine, a low whine sound, when I turn the key to the RUN position. It runs for perhaps 8-10 seconds, then stops. From other posts I've read on iBoats, this is normal and is the lift fuel pump pressurizing the system.

So, does this sound like a bad fuel lift pump and do you think installing a repair kit will fix it ?? If the lift pump is funky, will there be a code set in the ECC memory ??

Incidentally, NO Evinrude or Johnson service in our area (Gainesville, FL). Closest is either Jacksonville (90 miles) or Orlando(125 miles) so I cannot easily take it to a dealer for checkout. Also, I'm trying to find the diagnostic software and repair manual, but no luck on a direct download. Have contacted a fella in Canada but no response yet.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for any help I can get !!

Bill