1957 7.5 hp Johnson stuck in reverse.

TheeFishGuy

Cadet
Title says it all... No matter where I put the shifter it's stuck in reverse! This is a family heirloom and absolutely need to fix it so I can start the cosmetic restore... HELP! LOL

Thanks, Jonathan

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1957 7.5 hp Johnson stuck in reverse.

the shifter cycles through f-n-r normally, but the prop spins in rev when you run it....or pull the starter???

lindy46

Captain

The shift lever pushes the shift rod down for reverse and pulls it up for forward. I'll bet the shift rod is disconnected from the lever, so the motor stays in reverse (gravity is working to keep it in reverse). On that motor, you have to pull the powerhead to get to the connection point. The shift rod feeds up through the connection bracket. The end of the rod is threaded and is held in place by two nuts. I'll bet the nuts have backed off and the rod is loose in the down (reverse) position.

TheeFishGuy

Cadet

The little guy is stuck in reverse no matter where you put the shifter... We were out on the boat and were cominig in to dock and my wife was running the motor and I had her go to neutral, then reverse then back to neutral... well she stayed in reverse. The motor that is... LOL

Here's the other thing... I'm extremely new to boating and might not know or understand everything you're saying...

When you say "On that motor, you have to pull the powerhead to get to the connection point. The shift rod feeds up through the connection bracket."

Where's the connection bracket and what do you mean by powerhead? LOL I know, that's terrible because they seem so obvious...

Thank you for your help!

TheeFishGuy

Cadet

PIctures or scematics would help.. . LOL Thank you, and sorry... Novices... :rolleyes:

lindy46

Captain

You have to remove the engine block from the motor - there are, I believe 7(?) bolts which hold it on from the under side. Pretty easy job - just remove the bolts with a screwdriver and disconnect the fuel line going to the carb, and the whole powerhead will just lift off. There is a spring-loaded carbon seal on the top of the driveshaft which will also come off when you pull the powerhead - make sure that assembly gets put back on in the right order - same as it came off. While you've got the powerhead off, I'd drop the lower unit and replace the water pump impeller - it probably needs a new one.

lindy46

Captain

Here's a diagram for your motor. I see yours is a 1957, so instead of the connection via a threaded shift rod, yours has a lever (#48) which connects the shift rod (#49) to the shift control on the side of the motor (#38). There is a pin (#47) which holds the shift rod to the lever and that has probably come loose or broken.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...nrude&section=Exhaust+Tube+And+Swivel+Bracket

TheeFishGuy

Cadet

You guys are awesome! Thank you so so much. I'll do it tomorrow and keep you posted. I'm also messing around with a Johnson 9.9 from the 70's or so I think it is... We'll see if that starts and runs tomorrow too. By the way, what's the oil mix ratio for that 70's 9.9? Internet says 50:1.

TheeFishGuy

Cadet

Ok! Excellent news! Both Johnson's are operational! The 57 ended up needing a nut on the end of the shifting rod. Used two and used loc tite.

All the 70's ish 9.9 needs is what looks like a fuel filter. It's the first thing the fuel line connects to and it's broke where the fuel line connects. Lol. We repaired it enough to get her running and tested but it needs a new one. Looking that up next! Thanks guys!