72 Evinrude 18hp, lower unit/gearcase maintenance questions.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here's some pics of my torn apart lower unit and gearcase. If anything doesn't look good or needs cleaned, lubed, greased etc, please let me know. Here's the bottom of lower unit, above gearcase.
View attachment 203138

Here's the top of lower unit, where water pump will set.
View attachment 203141

Here's the gearcase cover, very bottom. The oring/gasket that goes around the edge of this cover, I'd like to replace, but can't find part.
View attachment 203142

Here's the gears.
View attachment 203143

Here's the bottom of the motor, above the lower unit, looking up.
View attachment 203144

Cleaned everything up. Gonna order parts and put back together. Does everything look OK?

Jeff

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 72 Evinrude 18hp, lower unit/gearcase maintenance questions.

Hi white. Everything looks pretty good. Although, you'll need to use some gasket sealant on the spaghetti seal and skeg bolts. Most folks use 3M 847, or similar product. Here are some handy links that can help you put it all back together.

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...l-kit-1968-evinrude-fastwin-18-hp-601481.html

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/fastwin-lower-unit-seal-faq-277190.html

Evinrude / johnson 18-20 hp LOWER UNIT disassembly - YouTube

HOW TO PULL SEALS FROM LOWER UNITS - YouTube

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So that 3m 847 should be used on that oring seal on the gearcase and on the 6 bolts holding the gearcase on?? There's no gasket or anything on the top of the lower unit where it bolts onto the motor? (Between pic 2 and 5 in previous post.) So, other than the water pump kit, the oring for top of driveshaft and 6 new bolts for holding gearcase on, (are those what you called "skeg bolts"?), is there any other parts that you see I should order. I wanna place my parts order tomorrow, (Mon) and put everything back together next weekend.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

It all looks OK as long as you are not going to renew the seals on the shift rod and drive shaft.My advice on that would be if they're not leaking leave them alone.Before you put it back together however I would slide off the forward gear and take a look at the the dogs where the clutch engages to see if they are rounded at all.Also look at the clutch dog itself and reverse it if the other end looks better.If the dogs on the gear itself are a bit rounded but not too bad you can probably tidy up the corners by carefully using a Dremel to recut them,just make sure to do both sides the same as near as possible.I have done this with several motors with good results.

kfa4303

Banned

The 3m 847 goes on the spaghetti seal, along the threads of the 6 small bolts that hold the skeg (lower portion of the gearcase clam shell) in place as well as along the perimeter of any new oil seals you may be installing. It can sometimes be a little tricky to find so you may need to order it. Some folks use other products such as Permatex Aviation gasket sealer. You can order a lower unit seal kit right here at iboats for about $25, which consists of the appropriate set of oil seals (driveshaft seal, propshaft seal) and o-rings (propshaft bearing, spaghetti seal, top of driveshaft, shift shaft rod, gear shift pivot screw). The only special tool you may need is an oil seal puller which you can get at any auto store for about $7-$10.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It all looks OK as long as you are not going to renew the seals on the shift rod and drive shaft.My advice on that would be if they're not leaking leave them alone.Before you put it back together however I would slide off the forward gear and take a look at the the dogs where the clutch engages to see if they are rounded at all.Also look at the clutch dog itself and reverse it if the other end looks better.If the dogs on the gear itself are a bit rounded but not too bad you can probably tidy up the corners by carefully using a Dremel to recut them,just make sure to do both sides the same as near as possible.I have done this with several motors with good results.

I wasn't planning on changing the seals, but how would I know if they're leaking anyway. I'm doing all this as just PMS, there wasn't really any problems. I've already rebuilt the ignition, fuel pump and carb. This lower unit service is the last step, other than a winter project of changing it over to electric start. I checked all the gears and clutch....they look good. Thanks for your help.

Jeff