oil tank wire 1992 johnson 150hp

ml8340

Cadet
oil tank on a johnson 150hp..the wire out of the tank is just black....Im looking for the tan and the ground. coming out of tank,, does it matter which one? thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: oil tank wire 1992 johnson 150hp

Why are you looking for it ?? Need more info.

ml8340

Cadet

Why are you looking for it ?? Need more info.

Dont I need it for the alarm to work????? (low oil) 2) started motor (50/1) and no alarm..... Everything is hook up except the wire from the oil tank,,,,,(one wire split in two) ,,,Read in a thread to look for a tan and black wire.... Located tan wire on motor but cant tell which one is tan or ground coming from oil tank......

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Could you post a pic of what you have ??

ml8340

Cadet

Could you post a pic of what you have ??

Sorry,,No picture this time....Just a vro tank with a sending unit inside ,,,a hose, a primer bulb,,and one wire that splits apart,,, The tan wire I found on the motor is live... Im just not sure which wire is hot and which is the ground,,,, Sorry best I can do....thanks for the reply....ml8340

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Both of those wires are black... but look closely. One is a plain smooth black wire, the other has a slight striped effect to it. Which wire goes where is lost to memory at the moment, however................

One wire normally have a bullet type plug in terminal... that connects to the TAN wire you see protruding at some point from the wiring harness under the hood.

The other wire should have a regular thru bolt type terminal that bolts to a powerhead ground.

Let us know if this helps you or if you need further info.

ml8340

Cadet

Both of those wires are black... but look closely. One is a plain smooth black wire, the other has a slight striped effect to it. Which wire goes where is lost to memory at the moment, however................

One wire normally have a bullet type plug in terminal... that connects to the TAN wire you see protruding at some point from the wiring harness under the hood.

The other wire should have a regular thru bolt type terminal that bolts to a powerhead ground.

Let us know if this helps you or if you need further info.

Thanks for the reply,,,, I did notice how the wire was and I assume the smooth one was the ground.. I will give a shot and see what happens ..THanks again...ml8340