1979 Evinrude 75 hp - High idle & sparking engine??

drewkuch

Cadet
Well, I rebuilt the carb that needed the needle and seat, put new plugs in, and went to start it up. It took awhile messing around with the idle screw and choke, but got it running smooth, then it died. Adjusted the idle screw and cable, ran fine again, then died. Wouldn't start so I put it on full choke, started for 1 second then died. Put it back to choke off and it fired right up and went to very very high rpms, so I shut it off. Before i shut it off, it was making sparks where the timing "pointer" points at the timing "wheel" on top of the engine.

It seems as though this engine is picky about the choke. Last time on water (before messing with the carbs again) it only went about 5 mph, unless I manually played with the choke and carb levers.

Any advice?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 1979 Evinrude 75 hp - High idle & sparking engine??

You need to perform a link and sync which ou will find in the factory manual. And you keep saying "carb" I hope you rebuilt all three not just one.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

check your flywheel for lateral play, too much and the flywheel may be shorting with stator and pointer

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Push back and forth on the flywheel side ways.