1977 75 hp Stinger Johnson Water in Cylinder

edquade

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the forum here, but I've tried researching the best I could without asking questions, and this forum has been great so far!
I do however, have a problem I can't seem to figure out myself. I am getting water in the bottom cylinder on my 75 hp Stinger, while the motor is down in the position it would be in the lake. I assumed that would mean the head gasket is leaking, I pulled the head off and that did not appear to be the case and I put a new head gasket in. Immediately after starting the engine on the muffs, I had a significant amount of water back into the bottom cylinder. I don't think a head gasket would have been able to leak that much in that quick, especially with it just being replaced. Where else could it possibly be leaking? Is there such a thing as frost plugs or something similar on these engines? I've never honestly done much work on outboards so I'm new to this.

Thanks in advance for any help you're able to offer!

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1977 75 hp Stinger Johnson Water in Cylinder

Probably the exhaust manifold on the port(left) side of the engine. You need to get the service manual for your engine if you are going to do it yourself. Post a model number from the transom bracket and the gurus will probably give you more info. Good luck

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Did you check compression before/after replacing the head gasket?

Unless you didn't put the head gasket on correctly (wrong torque value/order, residual gasket crud, unfilled pitting, etc.), the head shouldn't be leaking.

As Will Bark said, you very well could be getting water in through the exhaust ports...i had this problem on a '75 70hp.

edquade

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys,

I did not check the compression before and after. All three cylinders have a strong spark. I do have a factory service manual for the motor, I followed the tightening sequence and torque specs when I replaced the gasket and cleaned the residual gunk from the old gasket off well. I did not see any places on the old gasket where it would have been leaking so I'm thinking that's not the problem.

I'll have to go look at it and get the model number yet.

It appears that it loads up with water rather rapidly, and I checked the block and head for any cracks and everything looked good there. This exhaust manifold is just inside the large flat piece on the left side of the engine? I have not started disassembling that quite yet but just wanted to be sure.

classiccat

Thanks Guys,

I did not check the compression before and after. All three cylinders have a strong spark. I do have a factory service manual for the motor, I followed the tightening sequence and torque specs when I replaced the gasket and cleaned the residual gunk from the old gasket off well. I did not see any places on the old gasket where it would have been leaking so I'm thinking that's not the problem.

I'll have to go look at it and get the model number yet.

It appears that it loads up with water rather rapidly, and I checked the block and head for any cracks and everything looked good there. This exhaust manifold is just inside the large flat piece on the left side of the engine? I have not started disassembling that quite yet but just wanted to be sure.

Yep, port side of the engine. Take your time & go easy on those bolts...only 1/4-20's.

edquade

Seaman Apprentice

Hello again,

My engine's model number is 75ERL77S.

I started taking the bolts out of the flat cover on the port side of the engine, it appears that the bottom three bolts or so won't be able to come out all the way without removing the powerhead. Is there some trick to this or must I remove the entire powerhead to get into the exhaust manifold?

My service manual doesn't appear to say much on this subject. And, if I must remove the powerhead will I need to take the carburetors off or can I leave everything fairly intact and just remove linkage, battery cables, fuel line and such?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Drill some holes in the side of the cowling and get the bolts out. And after that put some rubber plugs in them. Use the right extensions and sockets. Been there.

edquade

Seaman Apprentice

I managed to get holes drilled and everything taken apart. The one gasket was blown out between the bottom cylinder exhaust port and the water intake port, so I imagine that's where the water came from. Also, one of the other gaskets was the incorrect gasket according to the parts guy. So thanks for troubleshooting that for me guys!

Also, I can't find anywhere in the service manual that tells me the proper torque and torque sequence on that piece. Does anybody know offhand? I'm guessing the sequence is similar to the head.

Thanks again!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What you are seeing is very common on the 3 cylinder loopers. The baffle plate warps at even the slightest hint of overheating, then the gasket leaks or blows. Note how thin it is in the port areas. Your efforts are futile if you don't check that plate, and probably replace it.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

60-84 inch pounds; sequence should be somewhere in your manual but start in the center and work up and down. Good luck

edquade

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, Will Bark.

F_R, how do I go about checking to see if my baffle plate is reusable?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You need something like a very straight edge to lay across it and check for gaps

Attachments

• 3 CYLINDER EXHAUST PLATE..jpg
    3 CYLINDER EXHAUST PLATE..jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

edquade

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, I'll lay a level down on it and see if there's any gaps. The gasket material was extremely fragile so hopefully that was the only problem. Once again, Thanks a bunch!

edquade

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I finally got all my gaskets and put everything back together. It seems that all is well so far, no water in the bottom cylinder and she starts with the flick of the key and all 3 cylinders are firing. Now I'll just have to take it out to the lake and see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone! Greatly appreciated!

dazk14

Ensign

After you've run it at the lake, allow it to cool, then re-torque those bolts.

Using your torque sequence, or center out in circles increasing the circle size as you go(clockwise or counter).

Proper torque requires movement. If needed, 1 at a time, you can crack it loose, then re-torque to 7ft lbs.

While your at it, re-torque the cylinder head as well. Again, torque value must be reached while bolt is moving.

Compression on those can run upwards of 150psi - if you're checking. Nice motors

edquade

Seaman Apprentice

I got everything all retorqued, no leaks anywhere that I can see. It starts quite well now, and runs like a top! It started to wake up a bit more as I got more seafoam gas through it. Purrs like a kitten at an idle as well. Thanks again folks!

classiccat

I got everything all retorqued, no leaks anywhere that I can see. It starts quite well now, and runs like a top! It started to wake up a bit more as I got more seafoam gas through it. Purrs like a kitten at an idle as well. Thanks again folks!

Great to hear!!! Congrats on a job well done! :thumb: