1956 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5hp Fuel Pump Conversion

cldardeniii

Cadet
Hi. I am a new member and this is my first post to iBoats. This site is great. My question is in regards to converting a dual line pressurized fuel tank system to a single line fuel pump. I recently purchased a 1956 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5hp outboard for my 14' jon boat and cannot get my hands on a pressurized fule tank without spending an ungodly amount of money on an old rusted out one. I have read many forums here and have seen the instructions on adding a Mikuni pump to the motor.

Can this conversion be done without removing the carburator by just plugging the air line and installing a new single line connector and fuel pump or is carb removal innevitable?

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1956 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5hp Fuel Pump Conversion

Hi cl. Welcome to iboats. You will have to remove the carb, but it's only held on by two small nuts. You can simply remove them and place the carb to the side while you do the job. You simply bolt it back in place and you're good to go. Here are some great links and vids that can walk you through the whole job.

HOW TO CONVERT 50s motors from two line tanks - YouTube
Converting the Old OMC Dual Fuel
5.5 HP Evinrude Johnson Outboard Tune-Up Procedure 1954-1964
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2744/ITEM_274400001.htm

Last edited:

cldardeniii

Cadet

Hi cl. Welcome to iboats. You will have to remove the carb, but it's only held on by two small nuts. You can simply remove them and place the carb to the side while you do the job. You simply bolt it back in place and you're good to go. Here are some great links and vids that can walk you through the whole job.

HOW TO CONVERT 50s motors from two line tanks - YouTube
Converting the Old OMC Dual Fuel
5.5 HP Evinrude Johnson Outboard Tune-Up Procedure 1954-1964
Vintage Evinrude Johnson Outboard Parts & Diagrams - Catalog ITEM_2744

AWESOME!

Thanks so much kfa4303 for the info and super fast response. I will follow up my thread with some pics to show off the motor and how it goes for me.

cldardeniii

Cadet

kfa4303 I removed the two bolts and Wa La! the carb came right off jsut as you said. Now as soon as my Mikuni pump arrives I will hook it up and hopefully I will be in business with a single line versus a dual. Thanks again for the assistance.

kfa4303

Banned

No problemo. Keep us posted.