evinrude 18 hp year

buitch

Cadet
I have two Evinrude motors one was to be a parts motor but they look a little different. I would like to know the year of them if possible.
First one is: 15037B 50220
2nd. is: 18304AC 86272
Thanks in advance

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: evinrude 18 hp year

Hi kfa4303. Thanks for the link. would the motors I have be similar to the Johnson E & FD Series?

Yes. I just learned that some think the "F" stands for Fastwin, which started as an Evinrude model. The earliest Fastwins were 15HP, but they didn't update the model numbers to reflect that until a while (decade or more) after they became 18hp. That's why the earlier model starts with "15".

The 1962 and 1973 should be quite similar, EXCEPT that the 1973 has: more roller bearings (and is ostensibly a 50:1 motor), no high speed needle on the carb (fixed jets instead), and a "low tension" magneto (two magnets in the flywheel, a single "driver coil" under the flywheel, and an external "ignition coil" next to each cylinder), oh yeah, and "detents" in the gearcase to keep you in gear better, and a magnet in the gearcase (to pick up gear chips?)

MarineEngine.com has parts diagrams:
1973 Evinrude 18304A 18 hp Outboard Motor Parts

The 1962 diagram for the Fastwin isn't available, but the Johnson FD for that year is:
1962 Johnson FD-16 18 hp Outboard Motor Parts

Here's a page with many introductory articles about working on old OMC outboards:
Duckworks Magazine

The one entitled "Inquiring Minds Want to Know" talks about similarity of 18 hp models from 1957 thru 1973.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: evinrude 18 hp year

+1. The FD/E series motors stated life as 15hp, then 18hp, then 20hp (Johnson), but they're all based on the much loved OMC 22 cu. in. engine. They're some of the most popular and powerful pound-for-pound motors ever made. Lots of parts still available with tons of interchageability. As Silver said, they converted to electronic ignition and some other "upgrades" in the mid-70s, but most folks here try to stay away from those models as they proved to be less reliable than their older siblings and parts are harder to find, whereas the parts for the vintage models are still readily available and cheap. Most consumable parts like carb kits, impellers, etc..... are only about $20 each right here at iboats.