1999 175hp Evinrude Loses Prime

sec56

Seaman
Hi everyone. I've used "iboats forum" before and have received excellent info so here I am again. Last April we purchased a Crestliner 2360 Eagle SSt with a 1999 175hp Evinrude. Runs great. I think I have a problem with the fuel system, but I'm not entirely sure. The engine is direct injected. After shutting down the 175hp engine and trolling with my 10hp for 3 to 4 hours, the 175hp won't start up without pumping primer bulb firm. The 175 always starts easily after priming and idles well. I haven't checked to see if primer bulb is firm at initial shut down. I see three fuel/oil lines going into the engine. I know one is for oil, and one is for fuel but not certain if fuel system has a return line or not, and even if it did have a return fuel line, I wouldn't think primer bulb would go mushy like it does. Also, it takes probably 6 to 10 squeezes of the primer bulb before it firms back up. I'm in the process of getting a service manual and cd. Any thoughts on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1999 175hp Evinrude Loses Prime

It could be a failing valve in the primer bulb.
Does it hold firm after priming?

sec56

Seaman

I noticed late night that it felt like I squeezed something inside the primer bulb, but couldn't duplicate with every squeeze. This morning (Saturday) I took it apart, and found one of the check valves had come apart. Change primer bulb, but do not as of this writing if it has resolved the problem or not. We are headed out to Lake St. Clair for the day for some more boating and fishing. Will let you know if problem is resolved. Also, I didn't use a new primer bulb at this time. Trying one I had here which was found to be good so far. If problem seems better but not totally resolved, I'll get a new one and try it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Your primer bulb is supposed to go soft while the engine is running; it just becomes part of the fuel line while you are running, it is not supposed to be sucked flat which would indicate a restriction between bulb and fuel tank.

JJB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had the bulb go flat when the check valve in it got stuck shut ... A few good slaps on it got us home ..Now I always keep a spare on board . they have a plastic check valve in them ... It also seems that the Evinrude / Johnson type have lasted me longer then other brands in the hot fl sun

sec56

Seaman

Changing the primer bulb helped tremendously. Didn't have to re-prime engine again after it sat turned off for several hours while trolling with my 10hp, although it had to be cranked over 3 or 4 times before it started. I didn't check to see how soft primer bulb went or how many times it had to be squeezed to firm up, but before it was like starting with an empty tank. I understand and am aware of the fact that the primer bulb doesn't stay firm once engine runs. I think the used primer bulb I used is still allowing a slow leak down back to the tank, so it's off to the store to get a new one tomorrow.