69 Johnson 40HP slips in forward with shift cable, works fine without

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,

I have a 69 Johnson 40HP with original controls.

the motor is slipping when I'm moving in forward. I don't hear any terrible noises or anything.

I have since disconnected the shift cable off the lever at the motor and simply reach back and move it to the direction I desire and it has been fine for the past 30 or so hours in the lake. I shift it to forward manually, put the shifter to forward and the linkage meets up perfectly, but again, as soon as i get about 10 feet it starts slipping to the point i cant move.

I had the motor off the boat over the winter for some starting repairs and this has been an issue since the spring when I put it all back together.

I have adjusted the cable to pull it as far forward as I can right at the motor (it's threaded) but it hasn't helped. reverse is fine.

at first i was worried it might be the clutch dog assembly, but running with the cable off works perfectly fine.

I'm looking for ideas on what else to check/adjust. there must be something I am missing.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 69 Johnson 40HP slips in forward with shift cable, works fine without

How old are your linkages?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you take the shift cable off of the mtr and pull back and forth on it, how much slop is in it ??

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sutor:
all parts are original. What specifically are we calling linkages?

Boobie:
the lever itself will have about a half inch of wiggle room before it does anything. You are asking me to pull on the end of the cable and see what happens there right?

thanks for the quick reply folks!

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, so i would say i have 1/4 inch or less play on the cable end. and about 1/8 inch of wiggle room on the metal bracket that holds the shifter cable to the motor by pinching the plastic part that moves on the threads of the cable.