Help! Can't find shift linkage bolt. Johnson seahorse 6hp

modup

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I bought a non working 1986 johnson seahorse 6hp as a project to learn something about 2 stroke outboards.
After searching on the forum I cannot find how to remove the lower unit as the shift rod is still in place.

I read about a bolt under the carb or close to the shifter but I can't find what I'm looking for.

Can anyone help me out?

Here are somepics:

photo (1).JPGphoto (2).JPGphoto.JPG

Thanks!

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help! Can't find shift linkage bolt. Johnson seahorse 6hp

Some motors have a side plate half way down the LU or sometimes when you drop the LU it only goes down a bit and you'll see a coupler joining the two shift linkages together. Give that a try?

modup

Cadet

Hi Marsbar,I did see the coupler but it has 2 flathead screws and I can only reach one of them. Not sure if I will be able to just yank it out. Don't want to break anything.

modup

Cadet

thanksI got it off:)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

FYI - your motor is not a 1986. Looks late 1970s.

modup

Cadet

That's good to know.The guy told me 86. I can't find any serial numbers on the outboard so I can't look it up.

thx

nwcove

Admiral

.....in your second pic, there is a nickel sized aluminum plug just forward of the bottom coil....good chance of finding the model number there.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I'd say 1979....and there is something a bit off about the carb. The low speed needle is about 1/2 the length it should be.

modup

Cadet

I'd say 1979....and there is something a bit off about the carb. The low speed needle is about 1/2 the length it should be.

Yes, it should reach the outside of the outboard right? So you van adjust lean/rich without taking of the outboard cover.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No, needle does not reach outside the outboard. The plastic knob that attaches through hole extends deep in there to reach the L/S needle. There may be a grommet that fits in the hole as well. I started to purchase a knob / dial for a 4hp until I seen it was like $27. Get your motor running right on the water, setting the low speed correctly and forget about it.

modup

Cadet

No, needle does not reach outside the outboard. The plastic knob that attaches through hole extends deep in there to reach the L/S needle. There may be a grommet that fits in the hole as well. I started to purchase a knob / dial for a 4hp until I seen it was like $27. Get your motor running right on the water, setting the low speed correctly and forget about it.

it does seem to be working so I will leave it for now. Need to fix the cooling system first as it's not working at all. I'm looking into buying a manual and came across this one:

Johnson Evinrude Outboards 1.25-60HP 1973-1989 Repair Manual 1-2 Cylinder, 2 Stroke - Seloc 1302-IB - iboats

Does anyone know if this is the right one for this engine?

Thanks,

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Many have advised against the after market manuals. Although it may help, it can be mis-leading. Best to target OEM manual.