1972 65hp Triumph

willy007

Seaman
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1972 65 hp evinrude (model 65273s) with the hydro-electric shift. The previous owner had it as a spare for his boat and but never needed it so it had been sitting for 3 years in a garage. The motor looks clean and well-maintained but looks can be deceiving... I'll try to post some pictures if I can.

Before I even try starting it I wanted to do a once-over to make sure that nothing gets wrecked. What would you recommend checking/doing prior to firing it up? Change lower unit oil? Replace water pump impeller? Plugs? Any advice for things to check or not to check would be helpful.

Just out of curiosity, what is a motor like this worth? Just wondering if I got a good deal.

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1972 65hp Triumph

I would put it in a barrel of water after I cleaned the carbs and see if she fires up. I'm not a fan of the hydro shift as the solenoids are getting harder to find and they are expensive. Make sure that there is oil in the lower unit before you fire it up and go from there. Engines are worth different amounts to different people in different locations so I can't answer that.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to the Top Secret File at the beginning of this section and read "ITS BEEN SITING FOR 2 YEARS, WHAT TO DO" for good suggestions.

willy007

Seaman

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I appreciate the time