1985 Johnson 115 hp Gear Problem!!

Snake334

Seaman Apprentice
I am working on a buddies engine. It's a 1985 Johnson 115hp, model J115TLCOS. This engine had been sitting for 2 or 3 years. He brought it to me for a tune up. I rebuilt both carbs, replaced the water pump, lower unit oil, and the spark plugs. It had a bad power pack, so I replaced that too. The engine has good compression in all cylinders. He took it out on the lake last weekend for its first run. He said when it runs over 3000 RPM, it sounds and feels like he hits a log every minute or so. Sounded like it was jumping out of gear. I checked the linkage, and it appeared to be adjusted correctly. I pulled the lower unit and drained the oil, no chunks or anything. I pulled the gears and they look fine. Other than normal wear, the gears look good. I have no idea what it could be. I'm open for suggestions or input. Thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Johnson 115 hp Gear Problem!!

If you can post a pic of the fwd gear and dog.

Snake334

Seaman Apprentice

Here are pics of the clutch dog and the forward gear. Clutch Dog.jpgClutch Dog 2.jpgForward Gear.jpgForward Gear 2.jpg

Snake334

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I have a new problem. After further examination, the lower unit gears are bad and need replacing. When I went to order new gears, I discovered a new issue. The gearcase isn't the original. The diagrams do not match what I have. Is there a way to determine which year the lower unit is from? I tried to cross reference the gears that are in it now, but I can only find the clutch dog and reverse gear. When I run the numbers for the forward and pinion gears, I get nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.