evinrude 40 e-tec

Johnny Mac

Recruit
I am trying to source diagnostic equipment for this engine. I recently replaced spark plugs but the engine still fails to start. I am in zambia and access to boat repair shops are not available. Is a hand held diagnosic tool available? Your help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: evinrude 40 e-tec

You would need a laptop and the Evinrude diagnostic software plus an interface cable. Some people order the items from a US Evinrude dealer and have them shipped if local dealers cannot help out. Be sure to get the factory service manual also. etecownersgroup.com is a good place to visit and to learn about them.

Johnny Mac

Recruit

Hi thanks for that. We ended up ordering from america to get it shipped here. Figured it would be worth it in the long run.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Johnny. Did you index the plugs? If not, that's probably your issue.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Smart move. Get all the test equipment you can and you'll be fine.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget to get a fuel pressure gauge that will go to at least 40 psi. With a shader screw on valve fitting. That would be the same type valve that you would see a on a tire inflation stem.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it shader or schrader

Johnny Mac

Recruit

Thanks folks.
Really appreciate your help. I'll no doubt be in touch again when i run into trouble.
Cheers

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah, that's the one issue with Etecs, while they are generally quite reliable and require only routine maintenance for the first 3yr/300hr after that there isn't a lot of work you can do on the motor yourself. Your motor's computer will have to talk to the shop's computer to determine what's wrong. Part of the reason the motors are so efficient is because they're so finely tuned which means maintenance will always be somewhat complicated, not unlike modern cars. All that being said, Evinrude Etec motors have a great reputation are well worth the effort to keep going.