1976 Evinrude 6HP cooling question

Strawn M

Cadet
I recently acquired a 1976 Evinrude 6HP. I was mildly surprised that it started on the second pull after merely plugging up the fuel line and squeezing the bulb until firm. Pulled the choke out and it coughed on the first pull and started on the second. The motor was in storage for about two years before I got it. I only ran it a about 15 seconds in a tank of water because I did not see any evidence of cooling water discharge at the exhaust. I have read on some forums that the witness hole, pee hole, whatever you want did not appear on these engines until 1977 or 1978. Given that this information may be true, should I still have some water discharge from the exhaust or does the thermostat have to open before any water is discharged. I plan on installing a new impeller anyway, but this questions is hanging there. Thanks for any help on the matter.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1976 Evinrude 6HP cooling question

Yes, there should be a light spray of water coming out the exhaust port even before the T-stat opens. Replacing the impeller is without a doubt the best thing you can do for that motor (or any motor) that's been sitting in storage like that.