Carb cleaning/rebuild 1973 18hp Evinrude 18202R

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

In continuing with my restoration I'm ready to tackle the carb. I ordered carb kit 0396701 and have removed carb from motor.

2013-07-07 20.12.26.jpg2013-07-07 20.12.48.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice, I've never attempted anything like this before. I'm assuming the kit will come with detailed instructions, but any other info would be great.

Thanks a lot!

Jeff

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb cleaning/rebuild 1973 18hp Evinrude 18202R

Check out the FAQs, there is a sticky on it.

Dismantle fully, soak it well (I use Pine Sol), wash in hot soapy water, then rinse off, and blast with compressed air into all passages. Ensure there are no clogs anywhere. Getting it clean is most important.

Then when rebuilding, ensure the float is parallel with carb body when held upside down in your hand. I like the unhinged side just slightly higher to ensure proper seating of the needle in the seat.

Then before reinstalling, blow into the inlet when the carb is right side up. You should be able to easily. Flip it upside down. Now blow again, you should not be able to. If you can there is an issue.

bbstacker1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have a digital camera handy, I would take a lot of picture (they are cheap) before you take anything apart and as you go.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I'll second "bbstacker1" post too. You just can't take too many pictures when rebuilding anything. I have used pictures lots of times because even though I have IPBs (Illustrated Parts Breakdowns), my own pictures have helped out in a lot of situations reassembling things again. Good post...

AlTn

Commander

if this is your first time rebuilding any type carb just realize that you don't have to remove the springs, linkages, choke or throttle butterflies, shafts, etc...leave those alone and just remove the float bowl from the carb body...the float bowl will contain contain the high speed orfice <main jet > and the upper carb body will contain the remainder of parts in question..doubtful any instructions will be in the carb kit, just note how the float is oriented < the small tab on the arm points upward into the carb body > and go over the instructions in the Top Secret Files

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man, I'm beginning to think this may be harder than I thought. I'll go slow and take a lot of pics as I go this weekend. We'll see. Thanks.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Nah, piece of cake. Don't sweat it. They are very simple carbs.

jonbellamy

Seaman

if this is your first time rebuilding any type carb just realize that you don't have to remove the springs, linkages, choke or throttle butterflies, shafts, etc...leave those alone and just remove the float bowl from the carb body...the float bowl will contain contain the high speed orfice <main jet > and the upper carb body will contain the remainder of parts in question..doubtful any instructions will be in the carb kit, just note how the float is oriented < the small tab on the arm points upward into the carb body > and go over the instructions in the Top Secret Files

This is my biggest fear: messing up the throttle linkage because it looks like a pain in the rear to figure out if something goes wrong.

Man, I'm beginning to think this may be harder than I thought. I'll go slow and take a lot of pics as I go this weekend. We'll see. Thanks.

I too am about to do a carb inspection on my '68 Evinrude 18hp. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but maybe this would benefit us both. If this isn't relevant to your motor just let me know and i'll delete the post, but: I'm most concerned with the linkage in the picture that i've drawn arrows to. What is the procedure for these areas? I've seen a link where the guy disconnects his linkage, but it appears to be different and doesn't have the brass knob (think it was a 50's style fastwin).

J0JAykp.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect as little as possible. See up and to the left of your upper red arrow? The brass bracket which connects to the cam follower by a standard slotted screw? Loosen off that screw, then slide the brass arm off. It only goes on one way, as one side is squared off. No brainer to reassemble. Then remove the 2 nuts holding the carb to the intake manifold, cut the fuel line and pull it off.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the rebuild kit......Hoy Crap!! There's a lot of little tiny parts that I have no idea where they go. 2013-07-11 15.13.08.jpg

Plus, the gasket in the top middle of this pic I have no idea about. 2013-07-11 15.13.39.jpg

Here's a couple pics of the carb disassembled. 2013-07-11 15.14.04.jpg2013-07-11 15.14.19.jpg

I realy don't know if it's torn down enough, or what to clean, or take out, etc. I checked out the "Top Secret File", but I'm not getting it. Plus it's says I need some special tool? Sorry to be a pain, but I'm really lost.

If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it, but remember, explain things like your talking to a 2nd grader. :joyous:

HELP!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

The bottom of the fuel bowl has a screw on it. You will want to remove that and then check the little hole inside there that it isnt clogged.
If you bought some carb cleaner you can blow it through there.
If you had a small screwdriver you can back it out and clean it thoroughly too.
You want to remove any brown looking varnish substance you see

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You have to remember, the kits are for many models, so not all of the parts will apply to you. You will not use everything by any means.

Unthread the low speed needle. Soak, then blow out all passages and orifices with carb cleaner then hit with compressed air. The special tool is to remove the high speed "jet". You can make your own tool if you want. Ill look for a pic and dimensions. The dealer may pull it out for you if you ask nicely as well ;)

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did talk to someone who said I wouldn't need ALL those parts. That's a relief. Can you be more specific, what is the low speed needle and how do I remove it? I don't have a "dealer" around here to ask.....it's all me. HA! That's scary. :laugh:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you look at pic 3 of 4, it is the long brass piece sticking out of the upper half of the carb. Thread it out CCW. When done and putting it back in, thread it in till it seats, then back it out 1.5 turns. That will be your starting point.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK. How do I get a grip on it.....vice grips or something?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Put the dial back on to prevent damaging it. Vice grips will work, but mar it. The dial is best.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome! Got it. Sprayed cleaner thru it, no prob.

Now, in pic 4, the cover plate, the back side of it contains some sort of foam filter behind a metal plate w/holes in it. Is that an air filter? Does it need messed with?

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks a lot for all your help Chris. I'll get this thing put back together this weekend, and then get started on the lower unit.

Jeff

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Nah if there is no debris just leave it alone.

Ensure the float is set correctly. Test the carb before installing on the motor. Should be able to blow into the inlet when it is right side up, and not be able to blow into the inlet when it is upside down.