1989 Evinrude 150 XP - tach stopped?

jimboat63

Recruit
My tach stopped registering completely. Recently, i beleive that my engine has not been charging properly, also - as measured by my simple battery gage. Could these 2 symptoms be related?

What can i check to confirm what is causing my tach to not register?

/jim

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Evinrude 150 XP - tach stopped?

The combination rectifier/regulator does two things, it re-charges the battery and sends a signal to the tach. Usually when the tach quits, it's a problem with that rectifier/regulator. The factory service manual has tests for that charging system. It's not a cheap part, so some testing is time well spent.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do the proper testing as it could also be a stator problem.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

The signal for the tach comes from the stator and those leads also feed the rectifier. So if a diode in the rectifier gets shorted out it will kill the tach signal along with the charging system not working.

BigdaddyLew

Recruit

OK...this is my first time here so I am trying to figure this whole thing out. I have a 75 Wellcraft 5v20...great boat...in family since new...restoring...hasn't seen water in at least 15 years. has an 89 Evinrude 150 on it with less than 80 hours on it. ive rebuily the carbs...replaced fuel tanks lines and vent tubes, sending units, switch valve and fuel pump. Motor wil start and run awesome if the fuel is in a can right next to motor. as soon as I hook up to tank line it's like it won't draw the fuel from tank to run.

Ideas?

remember...I'm new to this whole thing so Sorry if I sound like a fool