Help 90 hp Evinrude running hot, new impeller good water flow. not sure poppet vale?

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
90hp Evinrude Model # E90ELEUC running hot, new impeller good water flow. not sure if poppet vale? I pulled thermostats and ran with covers off at idle there is hardly any flow. at higher rpms i have great flow. i think i have a poppet valve stuck open. I just cant find it on this motor. Does this particular motor not have one?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Help 90 hp Evinrude running hot, new impeller good water flow. not sure poppet v

I dont think it has a poppet as such, but it has a spring between the thermostat head and cover.
Is your thermostat opening ok?

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help 90 hp Evinrude running hot, new impeller good water flow. not sure poppet v

So would it be a case of since there are no thermostats, the cooling water is travelling to fast at low rpm's
to cool.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

How did you notice or determine the motor was running hot? Of course more RPMs will equal more water flow through the cooling system. Your motor does have a temperature switch for each side and could have a bad one if it's sounding the horn but not actually overheating.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

if its a faulty switch, would the alarm sound even before it had a chance to warm up.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

Watermann, i noticed it was running hot placing my hand on top of the head. could hold my hand on top of the port head but after 5-6 seconds hand to pull off of starboard side. there are alot of bugs to workout of this motor. also great restoration on that Sea Nymph.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Hey thanks hall, it was a fun labor of boat love.

I thought maybe the overheat horn was sounding on you. If you have a IR temp gun you could check for sure what the temp is on each bank. Most of the outboards I have worked on that are running normal temp heat up and like you say, you can't keep your hand on the head for no more than 5 or 6 seconds before the heat builds up enough that you have to move your hand.