1987 evinrude choke knob

jslaughter

Cadet
this is driving me crazy, there must be something that holds the choke knob on the choke lever! my choke knob slides in and sits over the choke lever but moves around and pops right off the choke lever. is there a pin or something that im missing?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 evinrude choke knob

Okay, now we know what year the choke knob is... on what engine? :)

jslaughter

Cadet

Model number is E10ECUE. Im thinking it might not be staying on because my springs are broken that problem will be fixed today but I still dont understand how the knob stays on the lever

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

1987 9.9 hp Evinrude.

There should be a thin stainless steel bracket that sits on top of the carburetor (about the thickness of a stiff feeler gauge) that the choke lever goes thru. You (or someone) may have dropped it into the pan at one time... look closely for it. Part number 324434. It is secured by the two screws that attach the black plastic air intake.

jslaughter

Cadet

I do believe I will be making my own they want 50 bucks for that piece!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I do believe I will be making my own they want 50 bucks for that piece!

I just checked a few of my price books on that price, thinking that perhaps you transposed a digit. Whew, that's outrageous! Check with some of the outboard shops where you might pick up one for a couple bucks. That item sold back in 2004 for about $11.00 and that's too much even at that. I checked my remaining stock for one... sorry, no such luck.

Are you sure that thing isn't in the hood pan somewhere?

jslaughter

Cadet

Im sure, ive been through that thing three times trying to replace broken/missing pieces. But I just got a detent on ebay for $23 :) thank you for the help. There should be a description of what each item they are selling does. There are a few more parts that I have an idea of what it does but I dont know what its called or vice versa or I just dont know about it at all! Lol