1964 johnson 9.5hp

jbeardencars

Recruit
I have a 1964 johnson seahorse MQ-10s. I have been using it for 20+ years and never had any problems with it. It hasn't been run for about five years though. I put it in a barrel yesterday to get it running again. Thats when I noticed that it had a hole in the cylinder head. see picture below for cylinder head picture (without hole). The hole is in the long tube-like piece where the water is pulled into the motor. The hole is about the size of a quarter and is only on the outside, so when it leaks water, the water will not get into the actual cylinder. Any advice for a repair...epoxy, brazing... or should I just purchase a used pieces.

030609.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 johnson 9.5hp

First welcome to iboats :welcome: good to have you aboard...

Since your issue is with the outer water tube, you could use some JB weld, but it is a questionable issue. If you can find a replacement part (there are probably no new parts available out there anymore, but who knows) I'd change if it were me. JB weld could work and with proper care can even be made to look normal too. But you have to be careful with how you do such a repair. And depending exactly where the hole is, the repair could break loose while you are on the go without knowing it and cause some problems. I'd try real hard to find a suitable replacement part... JMHO though...

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not sure where you are located but I may have one of these that I'd be willing to sell you if it helps you out.
I live north of Toronto.

jbeardencars

Recruit

That would be great, just let me know how much you want for it. Just message me the info.

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could get some metal tubing and cut an applicable piece (correct radius and length). Then you could jb wed it in to position.
It's something to try.

I would probably do the fix, cause I'm cheap.... nothing like repairing a $20 part for $50. :)