Johnson ocean runner 90 hp

Chsummers

Recruit
Can anyone tell me what steering cable I need to suit this motor. Original cable is beginning to seize and not available in Zimbabwe. Been told I need teleflex cable and new helm to suit. Motor is on a ruffneck raker 16 ft hull.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson ocean runner 90 hp

Look at the cable closely. Usually the mfg's name is on it and length in feet. You may just need a new cable and not a helm.

Chsummers

Recruit

Thanks for response. The cable I have is the old grey type and not teleflex. This grey cable is not available anymore and the helm I have won't suit teleflex. I have heard of guys removing a almost seized cable and hanging it up and pouring lubricant down the cable. Is this possible or am I wasting time doing this?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

A friend of mine had the same problem. He took the cable out, rolled it up and put in a big pan of ATF and left it for a few days. Then he hung it up and kept squirting the ATF down it. Believe it or not, it freed up.

Chsummers

Recruit

Thanks for that. I'm going to attempt this. Cheaper than the 700 usd for new cable and helm. This may seem like a stupid question but what is ATF?

Chsummers

Recruit

Disregard the question above. Google is a wonderful tool. Automatic transmission fluid. Thanks for the help, much appreciated