1976 Johnson 70hp wont run under load.

Mikebg

Recruit
Great site all, I have done a lot of reading and decided to register here as the responses to questions are the best.

So here is the problem and it has been beat to death with no real solutions that I can come to grips with. Motor will not run under load. Runs great with warm up lever up but struggled to idle in the water. Here is where I am at, and will be testing again tomorrow. Will be the first time on the water post carb cleaning. Its getting expensive at 20 bucks a pop in launch fees and getting nowhere fast...

70hp 3cyl Johnson
New water pump
No water in the bottom end at all.
New Champion plugs, gaped at .040"
Compression 118 across the board
Cleaned the carbs, did not put a kit in them
Changed fuel line from pump to center carb and from carb to carb
Idles like a champ in the lane way, has been bogging and dying in the water, prior to carb cleaning and fuel line replacement. The main fuel line to the center carb did have a minor leak.
when running on the ears in the laneway if I cover the top carb with my hand I feel vacuum and get a slight reduction in RPM, same on middle carb, same procedure on the bottom carb results in the engine choking out and stalling if I restrict air flow too long.
The timing advance is free moving.
The cam has 3 marks the middle one reads start and the cam roller is positioned there with the warm up lever down, it will move almost to the top mark when lifted.

So my questions are, cam and cam roller positioning? Are they correct or should they be re sync'd to the bottom mark?
Why is there such a drastic difference between the top 2 carbs and the 3rd when I choke them out separately?

Any other ideas as to why she dies as soon as she goes into gear?

Mike

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1976 Johnson 70hp wont run under load.

Sounds like you didn't get all the jets/holes in the pickup tubes cleared in the top two carbs. Use a small strand of wire to ge the stuff knocked loose out of these orafices. Do your carbs have an X on them? If not do a search for service bulletin 1144. If you can't find it let me know.

Mikebg

Recruit

Ok so carbs are coming off again, there are no X's on top of the carbs. Would you recommend the jet modification or get them clean and see how she responds first? Is the cam and roller set correctly?Start Lever down.jpgStart Lever up.jpgStart Lever down.jpgStart Lever up.jpg

fireman57

Captain

make sure that you run a strand of small wire like from a bread wrapper (without the plastic) through each jet and hole in the pickup tube. Blow it all out after that with carb cleaner or compressed air. Your high speed jet is behind the drain screw on the front of the carb. I know that I had my carbs spotless but did the modification and it worked perfectly. Another member on here did it about a week ago and called me to said it worked for him too. Did you find the service bulletin?

Mikebg

Recruit

Got her out yesterday on Long Point Bay. She had some trouble at idle, seemed to choke out, I brought the Idle up 3/4 of a turn and she seemed to settle out. Got up on plane pretty good and hit 30mph according to the GPS. Thanks for all the help.

fireman57

Captain

Glad to be of service. Just because you are running now don't be a stranger. You now have knowledge that can help others.

Jlong2

Recruit

did you just clean out the high speed jets after the rebuild and she is working fine now??? im having kida the same problem. I was going to clean out the high speed jets tomorrow.

mine will run like a champ on ears but as soon as i try and open it up on the water she falls on her face and wants to die!!

fireman57

Captain

You guys might want to start your own thread. You will get better responses. I will tell you that mine did exactly as yours does until I drilled the jets out per the service bulletin. Fantastic now.