1968 johnson 6hp

thilderbrand

Recruit
I have a 68 johnso 6hp. engine runs strong when the hood is off but when i put the hood on it bogs down and stutters. What can be causing this?

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1968 johnson 6hp

Not enough air under hood check to see if the hood has air holes and if they are blocked they may have some type of air cleaner in them

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

The air intake should be below the carb, in the aluminium pan there is a slot im pretty sure. Make sure its not blocked. there are no holes in the hood, and no air cleaner.

emckelvy

Commander

Are you running it in a barrel? I've had the experience where a lot of smoke would accumulate around the barrel and when the motor sucked that in, it would falter. If it's out in the water and does it, maybe there's an exhaust leak.

About the only place on this motor (unless there's a hole somewhere rotted thru), would be the powerhead-to-base plate gasket.

If it were leaking somewhere, exhaust would flow right into the cowling and cause poor operation.

If you haven't run it on the boat, try that and see what happens.

HTH...........ed

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you running it in a barrel? I've had the experience where a lot of smoke would accumulate around the barrel and when the motor sucked that in, it would falter. If it's out in the water and does it, maybe there's an exhaust leak.

About the only place on this motor (unless there's a hole somewhere rotted thru), would be the powerhead-to-base plate gasket.

If it were leaking somewhere, exhaust would flow right into the cowling and cause poor operation.

If you haven't run it on the boat, try that and see what happens.

HTH...........ed
Hmmm, What about the exhaust cover gasket?