1972 65HP Johnson control box

When i purchased my boat, the guy i bought it from told me that the boat would not go into neutral by using the lever from the control box. He told me there was a pin in the control box that had broke. What he did, was wire a toggle switch to use to put the motor in neutral or forward. this switch works very well and has not failed me. I start the motor with the toggle switch in neutral and when its warmed up and im ready to take off, i throw the toggle switch into forward. now, reverse works fine from the lever on the control box, in and out of gear fine, but you have to make sure you are in neutral with the toggle switch. anyways, i want to get rid of this switch and ive been looking at parts for the control box to replace, however, i have no idea what pin he is talking about, and was curious if anyone has had this problem and could help. for all i know the guy i bought the boat from doesnt know what he is talking about, i dont know. could it be the drive shaft pin?????? any help is appreciated, thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 65HP Johnson control box

He fed you a line and you swallowed it. I'll bet the shift switch is bad or broken. The reason he didn't fix it is because it is hard to find a replacement and is very $$$$ if you do.

They'll only get harder to find and more $$ as you wait. Unless somebody starts making reproduction switches. There is an opportunity you may want to consider.

is the shift switch located in the control box? under the cowling? in the lower unit?

He fed you a line and you swallowed it. I'll bet the shift switch is bad or broken. The reason he didn't fix it is because it is hard to find a replacement and is very $$$$ if you do.

They'll only get harder to find and more $$ as you wait. Unless somebody starts making reproduction switches. There is an opportunity you may want to consider.

i kind of figured he was full of sh**, but, i usually dont have any issues fixing motors, vehicles, etc. that i purchase, especially with the help from forums such as this one. I also got the boat and motor for a really good price, i would say i have about another $1500 that i can actually spend on this boat before it gets to the value that i should've paid for it. So i dont mind having to spend money here and there on it, and the best thing is, i dont have a payment on it, and even better, i dont have a payment on it when its sitting up for the winter. but like said, these forums are really good and you guys always help alot, thank you