CDI Power Pack Problem on '87 200 HP

bigboat606

Seaman
I recently had intermittent ignition problems on my 1987 200 HP Evinrude. About an hour into a ride my engine would lose power falling off the plane- but would still idle. This came and went a couple times until I go home. Next time out about an hour into the ride the same thing happened only this time I had to idle all the way home.

The engine ran as usual on the flusher at home so out of frustration I purchased two CDI 113-3605 power packs thinking it might be a thermal problem in one of them - hey the power packs on the engine were only 26 years old so maybe it was time.

After installing the CDI power packs the engine idled but did not seam as smooth as it should (hard to tell with a looper - they always idle rough), and had very poor power (but better than with the problem I had been having previously). The engine was very long to get the boat on plane and had a strong vibration (at plane) I had never had before. It reminded me as if one or more cylinders were firing in the wrong order, but I'm certain I ran each power pack connection to the proper coil. These power packs seam nearly impossible to miss-install - each power pack has two connectors, each different so they cannot be miss-connected. Also I installed each power pack one at a time so I could not have switched any connections between the two.

Does anyone recognize these symptoms or had problems with CDI power packs?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: CDI Power Pack Problem on '87 200 HP

Pull one spark plug at a time when it's acting up and see if you have a dead cyl.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

Do what boobie suggested. If one cylinder isn't firing try moving the coil to a different cylinder and see if the problem moves.

bigboat606

Seaman

I have tried removing the boot from each cylinder's plug. I don't get much help on this one - it's a v6 looper and they idle rough anyway. And when I removed a plug wire from each plug I did not notice any 'significant' difference in the idle. Maybe a slight change, but nothing to point your finger at. I guess I need to do this under load, but I have not had the change of a calm enough day to run with the cowling off. But I have pulled the plug wire and placed it near the plug to listened for the spark - it is a very distinctive snap. I heard it on all the cylinders. But I have suspected for sometime that some cylinder sparks are stronger that others because the snapping sound from some cylinder plugs is louder than others. What does this mean? Additionally a couple of plug wires will shock me when I remove them and others won't. Any ideas?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get an insulated pliers then check it under load. The trick is to find a cyl that isn't firing. It could be a fuel or compression problem.

Jmshelto

Recruit

Bigboat606, did you fix your problem? I am having similar issues, and wondered what your solution was.

clanton

Rear Admiral

You should also check the stator output to the packs, check the magnets on the flywheel, for broken, missing magnets. If you mean the company that made the packs, Rapair, CDI or may have new name. My mho one of the best in the business.

bigboat606

Seaman

Jmshelto,
Yes, I found my problem(s) - turned out there where two, and neither were my power packs. Just as Clanton mentioned above, I (finally)checked my magnets – all had worked loose. That is why I was having intermittent spark; the magnets were actually ‘walking’ around the flywheel as the motor turned. I got an epoxy kit from Bombardier (Evinrude) and attached them in the proper location. After that my spark was perfect. But the engine still ran VERY sluggish at high speed. This problem was due to a non-functional spark advance. Three years ago ‘goo’ from my stator coil (charge coils) oozed out. I replaced the stator, but neglected to clean all the ‘goo’ that had dripped on top of the engine. Apparently the ‘goo’ found its way into the timing advance movement and prevented it from moving. Once I cleaned the ‘goo’ from the timing all worked great. Now the engine runs like a champ. Hope this helps.