need some help. fuel pump 65 johnson 5hp.

Petty Officer 3rd Class
got a 65 5hp johnson. model LD 10S. its perfect for a little 12ft alumacraft in a lake i like to fish that has a 10hp motor restriction.

when i pump fuel to the carb with the tank line bulb, its leaking out of the fuel pump. the engine is running good, but the choke has to be pulled out some for full throttle. i rebuilt the carb a couple of seasons ago along with the points and new coils. before i pull the carb down again and clean it i want to address the pump.

problem is there are no kits for this pump. it was only used for a couple years and then they went to the standard little square pump that takes the 393088 kit.

what would you guys do for this fine little motor? many thanks for your help/advice!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: need some help. fuel pump 65 johnson 5hp.

If you like the mtr, bite the bullet and buy a new pump. If the prob happens again at least you'll be able to get a kit for it.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

looks like some of the small square pumps will work. anybody have a part number for one i could buy that will fit this motor. i could buy a used one and do a kit on it for sure! lots of them on ebay. many thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

18-7820 kit (iboats) should work in your pump, but the inlet cover gasket will be wrong. You can make a gasket.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks FR. would you think the inlet gasket is probably whats leaking when priming with the fuel bulb? maybe i should just pull the pump down and inspect all the innards.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks FR. would you think the inlet gasket is probably whats leaking when priming with the fuel bulb? maybe i should just pull the pump down and inspect all the innards.

found the inlet gasket. its in the mail. i will try that $5 part and see what happens. thanks

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE!!

the inlet gasket for the pump cured the fuel leak there, but had no effect on how the motor ran. i pulled the carb out. inspected the gaskets...shot carb cleaner in all the jets and passages..put it back on and fired up the motor. runs just fine now!!!