Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1987 evinrude

HI, JS.

:welcome:

Depends on the model number. Got that?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

E10ECUE is an electric start 1987 9.9HP Evinrude outboard, JS. There should be a solenoid to supply high current to the starter. Your start push button switch should supply +12V to the solenoid.

jslaughter

Cadet

Is there a place on the motor for a solenoid or will I need to install an external one on the boat

jslaughter

Cadet

im still not sure how to wire up my two prong push button. there is a black ground wire and a red wire coming from the starter. connect those to the switch then run wire from the switch to the battery?

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

your push button switch think of both wires coming from it as red. one wire goes to the left large post on the solenoid, the other to the left small post on solenoid, then a ground from block to right small solenoid.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 9.9 and 15 hp motors do not have a solenoid, but use a heavy duty push-button switch to supply the current. They do have a neutral start switch between the switch and the starter, which is a safety measure to prevent starting the motor in forward or reverse.

For a ton of information on these motors, look up "LeeRoy's Ramblings"- he posts here as "the machinist". In one of his articles on these motors he gives the number of a similar heavy duty switch available from Radio Shack that's cheaper. I took a quick look but couldn't find it easily (these are long articles, full of information).

jslaughter

Cadet

I kind of skimmed through his page and it is very long lol. I hooked up a solenoid but its faulty so im going to bring it back and try again with a new one. It will do for now until i can afford the neutral safety switch and a heavy duty starter switch