• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1977 70hp Evenrude stalls sometimes going from idle to full throttle.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 70hp Evenrude stalls sometimes going from idle to full throttle.

I'm going to call this one the up north blues, as normally only happens once a year for the week we go up North in WI with family. This week up north we use the boat more then the entire rest of the season. Fish in morning, ski during the day eat and then fish is the daily usage.

Normally only happens when in gear taking up slack and I gun it to get a skier up or multi-rider tube. We start up the motor, pull away from the dock and after they get settled in the water take up slack and then goose it. I can sometimes nurse it back if I pull back quick but normally they let go and I drive around in a circle to see if warming it up some will help.

I'm going out with the boat today and will try to see if I can repeat it at home, but wanted to know if others have had the same issue and what they found to be the problem.

Note I have a aftermarket fuel line/primer.
    Plugs have been changed out and did a de carb procedure with sea foam before last years trip. Did happen less last year but still did occur.
    Fuel pump is original and I am not against changing out but not sure it is the problem.
    fuel lines were all changes several years ago from the pump to the carbs.

Every season starts up no problem, and works great. And is only a minor inconvenience when it stalls as it does it several times in a row then will be just fine. Problem is my 7yr old is probably ready to get up on skis and I don't want the motor to stall to be the reason he gets frustrated and doesn't get up.

Any suggestions or tips? I did have someone try pumping the priming pump to see if that helped and I couldn't tell if it did or not at the time as the user wasn't very keen with a primer bulb.

Model # 70773S

Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve-o

Re: 1977 70hp Evenrude stalls sometimes going from idle to full throttle.

Seen it before. Check your throttle stuff on the motor. As you advance the throttle from idle, most of the movement should be the long vertical bar that moves the spark advance. Only when the spark is at full advance should it bury the carburetor throttle shafts WOT. The spark advance bar is moved by a coil spring where it pivots. If the timer is sticky, the spring doesn't move it, and you bury the carburetor throttle shafts at less than full spark advance. That will make it stumble severely, of conk out completely. May work fine the next 20 times.

Cure: You have to disassemble and clean & re-lube the throttle mechanism and timer base mounting.

Comment

Re: 1977 70hp Evenrude stalls sometimes going from idle to full throttle.

F_R; Thanks for the quick reply, Do you know of any thread that details the steps (I will look around and pull out my non oem service manual)? Also what lube should be used and any specific cleaner?

Comment

Working...
      X