Identification of older Evinrude Motor - 15hp - Help please...

IAlee

Recruit
I bought an older fishing boat that came with a nice running Evinrude 15 hp motor on it. It appears that a previous owner at some time repainted it. The model/serial number tag has been removed/lost. The only number I can find on it is on the silver plug on the side of the engine case. Those numbers are 878275 with an "M" above it. I have attached some pictures of the motor. I have more if needed.

On the inside of the cowling is the 15 hp and rpms along with starting instructions.

I have searched all over the internet trying to find a similar motor. I would like to know model and year so I can have a reference for maintenance, parts, etc. The last owner said he was using a 32:1 fuel / oil ratio, but all I found about Evinrudes was 24:1 and 50:1 for older motors depending on year.

Thanks
Lee

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 0
  • cowl back.jpg
    cowl back.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
  • fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 0
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Identification of older Evinrude Motor - 15hp - Help please...

Call BRP customer service, give them the # on the plug and they can probably tell you what it is.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am not an expert on these, but since it is a Johnson or Evinrude and has a fuel pump, it has to be 1959 or newer. And the shape of the cowling puts it near 1965. Probably a FD model.

Fuel ratio for those older non needle bearing motors was 24-1

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The "G" on the lid would mean it's a Gale, the part of the OMC (Evinrude/Johnson) corporation that made outboards for department and mail order stores.
The Gale line was terminated in 1963, and 15's were only made in 1960 (model 15D10), 1961 (15D11, 15D12), 1962 (15D14) and 1963 (15D15).

OMC Canada revived the design (1965-1968?) for commercial markets (Evinrude Worktwin / Johnson Workhorse).

Here's an article on the Gale brand:
Gale Warnings

IAlee

Recruit

thanks for all the help, guys! I think I have it narrowed down to the Gale 1962 Buccaneer 15hp. I found pics of another and they look identical - at least it's getting me closer. It appears someone at one time or another put an evinrude logo on the front of the cowling that was deceiving. Closer inspection shows original mounting holes. Now if I can find a picture of a motor with cowling off to confirm it.

I am currently running a 32:1 ratio as that is what the previous owner was using. Should I switch it to a 24:1?

Lee

cowl front.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

To narrow it down it would have to either be a Montgomery Wards Sea King or a Gale Buccaneer.

Based on what I see though, you don't have a Sea King due to colours and a few other identifying items I see.

I agree with you. I would be willing to bet it is a 1962 Buccaneer 15hp.

IAlee

Recruit

thanks for all your help.

I found a service manual on line that includes my motor.

It states 24:1 ratio. My motor has been run for who knows how long at 32:1. should I change back to the 24:1?

Also, it appears I am missing the air silencer. Motor runs good now. Should I be looking for one to replace?

Thanks again
Lee

lindy46

Captain

If it were mine, I'd be running 24:1. If it's running good, I wouldn't worry about the air silencer.

IAlee

Recruit

Thanks for the input. I think I will be mixing the next tank at 24:1 and readjusting the settings.

Lee

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same motor; battleship gray and with the same front dial setup. It's a 62 Gale Buccaneer. I run mine with a 24 to 1 mixture. It's a great motor and is very equivalent to my 18 Evinrude. fyi: Don't go looking for a thermostat. It doesn't have one. It uses the older Evinrude 15 powerhead.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't go looking for a silencer either. It never did have one. Well, actually, the plate in front of the carburetor is the silencer. But I know you are thinking of the silencer/muffler thing that was used on the metal hood models. Not needed/won't work on this one. The fiberglass hood is the REAL silencer.