1973 50hp Evinrude Lower Unit Shifting Issue

janco126

Cadet
Hi, i have a 1973 50hp evinrude. The model number is 50373R. I have the lower unit off right now because of an impeller change and I cannot get the lower unit to shift into reverse. This motor is new to me and I never attempted to shift it into gear when everything was together. When I push down on the shift rod and shift it into neutral and forward it takes alot of pressure. I also have noticed before when everything was still together the prop shaft moved smoothly in forward gear. After I pulled it into neutral, when I go back into Forward the prop shaft is now very stiff and is not turning without alot of help. I did empty the gear oil and their was metal shavings but not alot and nothing big. I'm not sure what is wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 1973 50hp Evinrude Lower Unit Shifting Issue

Try putting it into gear while turning the propshaft so that the gears will line up rather than bind. Also do not turn the shift rod as it will then be out of height adjustment when you put it back together. If you did screw the shift rod in or out then there's a thread here that gives the correct measurement.

janco126

Cadet

I just got an opportunity to try your suggestion Watermann, and it did help with the lining up. Not by much but i can feel the difference. Also after I was pushing into forward i pulled back up to put it back into neutral and it went it reverse gear. I pushed it back into neutral again and tried to find reverse and i could not find it again. its almost like something is in the way. also even when i was turning the prop shaft i still had to apply hard pressure to get it into gear. From in gear to neutral is easy but is not easy from neutral to in gear. Also i'm not sure if this would affect it but I have not put new gear oil back into the unit. its still empty.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

If it hasn't ran in some time then they could be dry and more difficult to shift. I guess you'll just have to put her back together and run the motor to see what it does with the controls.