1962 CD-19 Johnson 5.5 Seahorse Basics

iTz

Recruit
Anyone know where i can find an online manual?

At idling/low RPM the engine often stalls out/misfires, I remember hearing that the coils always go out on this model? Should I adjust/clean the carb jets? I recently sanded the plugs and gapped to .025 and didn't notice much of a difference.

How bad is it on the engine to shift at higher RPM?

Which major stores sell OMC Type C gear oil, and how much do I need?

Is 1:24 the right oil to fuel ratio?

About how fast is it on the water WOT?

Anything other basic stuff I should know?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1962 CD-19 Johnson 5.5 Seahorse Basics

Try a google search for the online manual (or EBay). Usually a compression test and also a spark test should be done first. That will tell you what you are working with. It's very possible the coils are ok but don't count on that. If it were mine, I would clean the carb, put in new plugs, fresh fuel mixed at 24:1, and see how it runs. Check the exhaust port for a spray of water to verify the impeller is working. It's a relatively easy motor to work on and well worth the effort.

wilb3

Cadet

There is a 10 page or so manual that I think I got as a result from searching Iboats. I will post it shortly. I am curious...which plugs are you using and how do the ceramic tips look? Are they tan in color. If so...this is a good sign. By the way...the mechanic that serviced my motor last recommends 50:1 fuel/oil mix on the 1962 CD19. Mine has been running good for the most part with this ratio.

Mark3

Cadet

A mechanic that recommends 50:1 in a non-roller bearing engine might be interested in selling a new outboard.

wilb3

Cadet

Mark I realize 24:1 is what most service manuals say. I am merely going by what the gentleman I purchased the motor from 2 years ago was advised to use by his mechanic. Not to confuse anyone. What's worse case scenario of using a 50:1 mix over time?

Mark3

Cadet

Worst case: excessive wear of the bushed main bearings and con. rods. Connecting rod exits side of crankcase.

kfa4303

Banned

HI itZ. Welcome to iboats.
1.) Don't change gears at high rpms. Instead, wait until you're at/near idle then change gears in a quick, crisp manner to avoid grinding.
2.) You need to use 80-90w hypoid outboard gear oil for your motor. There are many brands, but you can get a quart from Wal-mart for about $5, which is more than enough. You'll also need a small hand pump so you can fill the gearcase from the bottom up to avoid having any trapped air within.
3.)24:1 ratio is correct. You can get a quart of TCWIII, 2-stroke, outbard, motor oil from Wal-mart for about $5 as well. You'll also want to geta pair of Champion J4C spark plugs as well.
4.)The speed depends on many factors including the size and weigh of the hull as well as any passangers and gears you may have onboard, but those little 5.5hp motors are pretty plucky and should push one person in a 12' boat around at approx 10mph.

Here's a great article that can walk you through a tune up from top to bottom. Assuming the compression is ok, all the rest you can fix yourself for under $100. You can get any routine parts you may need for the job right here at iboats.

5.5 HP Evinrude Johnson Outboard Tune-Up Procedure 1954-1964
1956 Johnson cd-13 5.5hp outboard motor - YouTube
1962 Johnson CD-19 5.5 hp Outboard Motor Parts

Last edited:

bigfisher72

Recruit

Hi I have a 5 1/2 johnson cd-19. I am having to replace the water pump. Where 8s theshift linkage bolt at

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

You will need to remove the powerhead to get at that. Not too difficult. Just 7 bolts under the bottom of the motor pan. Be sure to get another exhaust to powerhead gasket and be sure to make note of the order for the 5 or 6 little pieces just under the powerhead on the driveshaft. I would replace the little carbon crankcase seal there as well. Only about $3 and it will make the motor last another 50 years or so.

Also, in the future you should start your own thread when you need help. It keeps everything complete and tidy.