1987 Evinrude 28hp cooling issues.

Logo09

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. My problem is that my 28 hp 1987 evinrude is having strange water pumping issues. The Tell Tale cuts out at higher rpm but works fine at idle. I already installed a water pump repair KIT, not just the impeller. I also replaced a faulty head gasket. I Tested both cylinders and they are dead even @ 105 Psi. I also hooked up my compressor to the tell tale and blew it out. There is so little resistance i can breath through it. here is a link to a video I took of the problem. 1987 28hp evinrude waterpump issues - YouTube

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1987 Evinrude 28hp cooling issues.

Obviously there is a problem somewhere. Are you sure that you got the keep pin in the impeller correctly. Sounds like it is not hold the impeller to the shaft at high speeds.

Logo09

Seaman Apprentice

I am certain. I took it apart and replaced the impeller and the issue persisted so i installed a water pump repair kit. I faced the prop away from me and turned the shaft clockwise and made sure that they keyway would catch correctly.

fireman57

Captain

Could there be anything that you forgot like the metal plate that goes on top, anything that could rub on the impeller and shred it. The only thing I would suggest if you are sure that all your passages are clear is to take the lower unit back off an inspect it.

Logo09

Seaman Apprentice

The metal plate that goes on top of what?

fireman57

Captain

On my 25 there is a metal plate that the housing goes on top of with a gasket. Go to ishopmarine dot com and look up your engine. If it is missing you will want it there.

Logo09

Seaman Apprentice

I believe I know what metal plate you are talking about and yes I installed it. A new one came with my water pump repair kit.

Logo09

Seaman Apprentice

I fixed it!!!! there was something in the copper tube that goes up into the engine that was valving with higher water flow. I blew it out but didnt see what it was. Works great now. Time to go drink some beers on the lake.

fireman57

Captain

Enjoy a couple for me. I knew that if you took it back off you would find something. Air is more forgiving than water when it goes through something that is restricted. Hope we don't see you on here anymore except for helping others.

Logo09

Seaman Apprentice

Well it looks like I have spoken too soon. I ran it once and it seemed to work fine. Shut it off and ran it later and same problem. I took off the lower unit again and peered up into the powerhead with my flashlight and I can see that the grommet up there is fine. I rebuilt the water pump and there are no signs of any kind of slippage around the impeller where it meets the shaft. The keyway is fine. I also ran some weed eater cord up the copper pipe that delivers water to the power head and it was clear. I hooked up a garden hose the copper pipe and ran the motor and the water flow is fine while it was running and while it was off. Seriously WTF

fireman57

Captain

You might need to pull the head and look in the passages for some kind or restriction. If you found stuff in the tube there could be more that got through. If nothing is in there then you will have to take the exhaust side off which is a pain and check those passages.

fireman57

Captain

on dialup so can't spend the time to watch that. Did it solve your problem?

Logo09

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it did. I will post pics momentarily

Logo09

Seaman Apprentice

20130701_201653.jpg The hole you see there was orginally 1/3 its size but i filed away all the bad material. It was allowing exhaust to force out water from the pump and cause my issues. Filled it up with some marine JB Weld and runs great.

fireman57

Captain

Great, now maybe you can enjoy the last half of the summer. Knew there had to be a restriction somewhere.