1965 Evinrude Big Twin 40HP Wiring - Junction Box Question

Ulbricht Nicht

Recruit
I recently purchased a little fishing boat with two Evinrude motors. Both required minor tinkering and tuneup but both have good compression and run like tops. That was the 'easy' part.

How I am rewiring all but the harness. (The previous owner thought that household wiring should work fine. *Shudder*) Anyway, I now have everything in either 14Ga or 12 Ga (For primary power only) marine grade wiring running from everything from the air horn to the depth finder. That is the other 'easy' part. Now I am trying to decipher the junction box itself. [I have a SELOC manual and keep it mostly just in case somebody runs out of toilet paper or facial tissue. Do NOT waste your money on one of these even if the proper manual is out of print and unavailable through the 'vintage' suppliers!]

I also have a parts manual and after spending money on that I found almost an exact duplicate online for free: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/vintage-evinrude-johnson/278649/27864900001.htm] Vintage Evinrude Johnson Outboard Parts & Diagrams - Catalog 278649 Page 21

What none of this shows me is which, if any, of terminals 64 through 67 is intended for accessories. Specifically, I would like the running/navigation lights to pass through the key relay to prevent them from being able to be turned on while the key is not in the 'on' position.

So, getting to the meat in the middle of the sandwich here, Is anyone familiar with the Evinrude 40552A electrical junction box who is also willing to tell me if what I hope to do is possible?

Thank you.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 Evinrude Big Twin 40HP Wiring - Junction Box Question

It is best not to wire the running lights thru the junction box.

It's routine to wire directly from the battery source thru a fuse panel directly to the light switch.

Ulbricht Nicht

Recruit

It is best not to wire the running lights thru the junction box.

It's routine to wire directly from the battery source thru a fuse panel directly to the light switch.

Thank you. That was not the answer that I was hoping to hear but I would rather do things correctly even if that is not the way that suits my fancy.

Thanks again!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Thank you. That was not the answer that I was hoping to hear but I would rather do things correctly even if that is not the way that suits my fancy.Thanks again!

You could of course, as you probably know, wire the lights from the wing nuts that exist under the cover of the junction box, however.... eventually the fuse within the junction box blows, the box is always attached high up to the transom under the splash well and hard to reach. The box cover has to come off to replace the fuse... the fuse blew for a reason and most likely blows again. That setup can become very aggravating and put one in a dangerous position.

Best to go the fuse panel route and keep it simple.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

40552 Big Twin does not have wing nuts on the bottom of the junction box (unless it has a generator kit installed). So, accessories go directly to the battery.