60' Evinrude Sportwin Timing Question(s)

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've tried tons of searches and can't quite find what I'm after so please forgive me if it's already been answered in detail somewhere already. And if it has feel free to just redirect me there and I'll be happy to read some more. :) Here's what I'd like to know....exactly how do I "time" my motor? I have set the gap on the points already but she runs really rough at low/idle speed. I can only relate to car engines but it runs kind of like a motor that is missing periodically. Anyway, I found 2 marks on the ignition plate and one mark on each side of the flywheel that look like something that would be used for timing. Is this correct? Like, lining up the marks on the flywheel between the 2 marks on the ignition plate perhaps? Don't see how to possibly use a timing light like you would with a car especially since there's no distributor to turn. Could someone enlighten me please? Thanks. Oh....and how do I determine which coil is for the top or bottom cylinder?

-B-

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 60' Evinrude Sportwin Timing Question(s)

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out right now. Ok, so that coil goes to the #1 cyl and I assume that the top cyl/spark plug is #1, correct? Yes, I did a carb cleaning and rebuild kit but what or how exactly do I "sync" it? Maybe your link will tell me? I'll go look....

-B-

nwcove

Admiral

you should also have a look through the top secret file at the beginning of this forum....some good info there!

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you, I have. :) After reading up at the link you gave me I think I understand what syncing the carb is now. ;)

-B-

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You actually can use a timing light if you want. Any timing light with an inductive pickup will work if you clamp around either ignition wire and use a 12v battery to power the timing light. Face the timing light to the double marks and you should see the flywheel mark between the double marks as the engine runs. The only difference is you have to adjust each point gap to adjust the timing of each cylinder firing.. Do it by hand with a meter then you can double check with your timing light. Don't forget to clamp one then the other. Probably not the preferred method but it can be done.

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I may just give that a try as I do have a couple 12v batteries to use. When you say don't forget to clamp one and then the other I assume you are talking about switching between the two spark plugs in order to see the second timing mark, correct?

-B-