Any tips for head gasket replacement on 1970 1.5hp Johnson

ali'i

Petty Officer 3rd Class
To try and solve the ongoing problem of water on the tip of the spark plug, which may/may not be the cause of my engine only running for a few seconds, before having to remove the plug, dry it off, then try again. I am going to replace the head gasket as per suggestions from my previous post. I have never replaced a head gasket on anything, and am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but the gasket was $4.00, and only 4 bolts to remove, so figured what the hey. I have removed the cylinder head and cleaned off the old gasket from both sides, now do I just put the new gasket on and re-assemble? or do I have to coat it with oil or ???, and does it matter which side faces what, one side has writing on it and appears flatter than the other side, which seems smoother, and do I need to torque the nuts or just tighten till they feel tight. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Any tips for head gasket replacement on 1970 1.5hp Johnson

What does the writing say??

ali'i

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What does the writing say??

all I can make out on the area that doesn't have holes is the number 9014 and FACE Solutions Inc, nothing that says "this side out" if that's what you were hinting at.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Make shure both surfaces are completely flat,with a straightedge,if not you will have another failure. You can flatten the head itself with a piece of glass laid flat and some 800-1500 grit wetsanding paper, sand and clean till its nice and shiny all the way across. The block should be pretty good unless it got really hot for some reason. No sealer should be needed.
Grub