Can you give me more info on this Johnson Motor? 48 h.p.? Year? Didn't know exist...

E_S_A_D

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didn't know Johnson even made a 48 horsepower engine! Anyhow, sorry for the bad cropping of the photo, but what year does this motor look like and any info on the 48 horsepower Johnsons? Any good?

s9hw4mN.jpg
[/IMG]

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can you give me more info on this Johnson Motor? 48 h.p.? Year? Didn't know exist

Isn't there a plate with the model number on the port side transom mounting bracket... or a quarter size core plug with those same numbers (looks like a small freeze out plug) somewhere on the powerhead?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Can you give me more info on this Johnson Motor? 48 h.p.? Year? Didn't know exist

I believe they made the 48 special from 1990-1996. There are plenty of them out there. My friend has a '96. Nice little 2 cylinder motors. Most that I have seen have been manual tilt assist, I have RARELY seen a 48 with powertrim, although I have seen them.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

48 SPLs are really 50s. Same mechanicals. Just don't have VRO or power tilt and trim (though it can be added/I've done it). The SPLs (specials) were built to create a lower cost motor alternative.

48 specials were definently made in 89 as I owned one until last month. parts listings show 48s as far back as 87 but I can't confirm that.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Just don't have VRO or power tilt and trim (though it can be added/I've done it).

48 specials were definently made in 89 as I owned one until last month.

Gotcha, so that is why I have seen a few 48's with power trim, because they are aftermarket. And I thought they made them from 90-96, but according to you I guess they made them in 89 as well.

I wonder how much less the price tag was without power trim or vro pumps......

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gotcha, so that is why I have seen a few 48's with power trim, because they are aftermarket. And I thought they made them from 90-96, but according to you I guess they made them in 89 as well.

I wonder how much less the price tag was without power trim or vro pumps......

I saw an article once with the prices but can't remember them now.

The tilt assist that came on the SPLs uses the same monting hardware as the tilt trim cylinder (at least from 89 up) so the swap is fairly simple. The cutout for the motor side switch is even there. So everything can be done with factory parts. I chose to build my tilt relay assy myself as some of the bits and pieces like relay mounts can get pricey.

Ironically a tilt assist cylinder can now cost more than a tilt trim cylinder assy.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I saw an article once with the prices but can't remember them now.

The tilt assist that came on the SPLs uses the same monting hardware as the tilt trim cylinder (at least from 89 up) so the swap is fairly simple. The cutout for the motor side switch is even there. So everything can be done with factory parts. I chose to build my tilt relay assy myself as some of the bits and pieces like relay mounts can get pricey.

Ironically a tilt assist cylinder can now cost more than a tilt trim cylinder assy.

Yea my bud has a '96 and the PO drilled a hole in the tilt assist because it had locked up. Now the motor comes up freely. He is trying to find a trim or assist assembly, and you are correct. Both are very expensive. So for now he has a floppy motor that draws up in reverse.....

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea my bud has a '96 and the PO drilled a hole in the tilt assist because it had locked up. Now the motor comes up freely. He is trying to find a trim or assist assembly, and you are correct. Both are very expensive. So for now he has a floppy motor that draws up in reverse.....

When I bought my little center console with the 48, the tilt assist was gone. There was a block of wood to set the trim and a couple of big cable ties to prevent it from kicking up in reverse. I only ran it that way for a test run when buying. The tie straps actually worked OK and would still break away if you hit something. After some shopping on ebay and a trip to the electronics shop I put tilt and trim on for a bit over $350.

Found a used cylinder for $250, $30 for the switch, $20 for the shifter add on to hold the switch, $25 to build the circuit box, and about $25 for wire. But I spent a while looking for a cylinder at that price. It was painted some butt ugly blue but worked great.