1972 johnson 65esl72s shift problem

LG High Tech

Recruit
Won't shift to reverse, did ohms check (6.2 n 6.4 r) When checking voltage i get 12v to green in neutral and 12v to blue but not green in reverse, is there a quick fix for this or am i looking for a replacement switch? (ouch).

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1972 johnson 65esl72s shift problem

There is a system of electric industrial switches in the search but it will let you start in full throttle" Dangerous" yes you shift switch in the control box is finished, I read that they are approx.$300.00 if you can find one. I found one on ebay. Motor faults to forward so that your not stranded at sea. If you do a search thread you should find it, but not recommended. Mars 1972 esl 50 hp.

LG High Tech

Recruit

Well after reading about 50 threads here about the hydro-electric shift system, it seems like my problem was tame compared to most. Special thanks to Joe Reeves for his concise and accurate description of how these work and how to troubleshoot for problems. Also thanks to all the experts who participate in this forum... you guys are above and beyond in your willingness to help us less experienced outboard owners, our boat would not be on the lake without your help here! And now for my simple but elegant solution. After doing the ohms and voltage checks it appears to me that the diode in the shift switch was no longer providing power to the neutral (green lead) when shifted to reverse. Instead of tearing apart the switch and rewiring (apparently someone did this) I decided to splice into the reverse (blue lead) and added a 50v 3 amp diode lead and spliced that to the neutral lead right where the leads come out of the existing switch. After doing the voltage check again I now have 12v to green in neutral only and 12v to both blue and green in reverse. Still functions like before it was broke with no danger! If anyone sees a potential problem with this fix please respond to this post and let me know, probably going to water test it this weekend. By the way this cost less than 3 bucks and 15 min of time to do!

LG High Tech

Recruit

Last post, everything works great! I have sealed the new splices and diode with "liquid black tape" (neoprene) and everything tucked in to the control box nice and neat. So...until the switch fails completely we're good to go.