First time restoration, Need Advice: 1983 Johnson Sea Horse 9.9/15hp

Nathan1096

Recruit
I have two 1983 Johnson Sea Horses. One is a 9.9hp and one is a 15hp.

They have both been sitting inside a dry garage for about 3 years. Additionally, the 15hp is seized and has no hope of starting (it fell off a boat and was submerged for some time). The 9.9 still runs very rough, and is hard to start.

What I hope to do is restore the 9.9hp to full working order (including a new paint job and decals) using parts where needed with the 15.

I'm aware that I can switch the carbs on these motors to make the 9.9 a 15 but I can't tell whether this is feasible given that the 15 is siezed.

I'll post pics of the inside as we go along. I have no experience doing this so advice on what tools I'll need and how to do repairs is much appreciated!

Thanks Iboats forums!

N

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: First time restoration, Need Advice: 1983 Johnson Sea Horse 9.9/15hp

Welcome to iboats Nathan.

Might ask a Moderator (they've got a MOD @ their user name or can be found here) Johnson OB forum. Lots of helpful folks hanging out over that way & can probably quickly answer any questions you may have...

Best of luck getting the 9.9hp up & running great again....

AlTn

Commander

obtain the OMC Factory Manual...google..Leeroys ramblings 9.9/15 hp....YouTube..Small Girl rebuilds small outboard and some other vids concerning the 9.9/15 hp. series...take your time and pics along the way

Nathan1096

Recruit

obtain the OMC Factory Manual...google..Leeroys ramblings 9.9/15 hp....YouTube..Small Girl rebuilds small outboard and some other vids concerning the 9.9/15 hp. series...take your time and pics along the way

I did one better... I found a grumpy wise man to help me out with it. We actually got it started, the spark plugs fired and with a few pulls we got it going for a second before shutting it off (as it was not submerged in a tank or muffs).

However, I need to know what kind of gas this motor takes so we can run it for a while and see how it does for extended periods and at low/high revs.

I don't have the manual so I have no idea. Can anyone help me out with this??

jbcurt00

Staff member

EBSCOhost - world's foremost premium research database service

Username: marshall
Password: public

after logon:

Select small engine repair

Select Marine/Boat motor

Scroll down & select manufacturer

Specific for your year & motor would be better, but in a pinch the combined is better then nothing

An actual service manual specific for your yr & model will prove invaluable keeping a 30+yr old motor running.

For all models prior to 1985, a 50:1 fuel-oil mixture is recommended (from the combined manual found by following the above link)

KDewees91

Cadet

Usually the older OMC motors '96 and before aren't supposed to be run on ethanol. But you can get away with 93 octane. 100/1 fuel mixture on the older/newer models '86-'01 as well. The exhaust ports, reeds, and carb throat are different on '79 and up if I remember correctly between the 9.9 and the 15's but not in all cases. it could be just the carb. If you have any questions on paint and decal application feel free to send me a PM. Using a spray gun opposed to a spray can will be well worth your wait.

Cheers

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

DO NOT use 100/1 mixture. OMC recommended this for a few years in the '80's, but got so many seized motors that they
put out a bulletin to go back to 50/1. There's a lot of detail on this in leeroy's ramblings, as mentioned above. Here's the url

OMC outboard related articles

It's the best source I've found for information on these motors, and I consider it essential, even more valuable
than the original OMC manuals (but it's still good to have one of these also).

He's also got a lot of information about the differences between 9.9 and 15 hp motors- carb, exhaust tube, spacers on
the reed plate.

KDewees91

Cadet

Thanks Gozierdt, Never knew that.

Nathan1096

Recruit

OK so we got it running this morning for about 10 minutes and then stopped it. When we tried again it wouldn't start. We checked the spark plugs and they were soaking wet. We burned off the moisture and sprayed them with compressed air until dry. We tried again and the engine would turn over, but never get going. After multiple checks on the plugs (which kept coming out wet (yet would spark like crazy when tested) we checked the compression on the engine.

The intake and the fuel pump seem to be working fine.

The compression is at about 50/60psi... I'm not an expert but that seems extremely low compared with other small engines that I've been around.. Does anyone know why this might be? The engine has been sitting a while and Ronny (the gentleman helping me) says that it could be a dried up seal.

I'm going to get some new plugs, pop them in and see how she runs but I still need to figure out the compression bit. Any suggestions?

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know a little bit less than nothing, but I would rebuild the carb and reset any needles.

Nathan1096

Recruit

I know a little bit less than nothing, but I would rebuild the carb and reset any needles.

I can try rebuilding the carb. It'll be my first crack at it but I'm sure I'll manage (tips appreciated).

What do you mean by reset any needles?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Until you figure out the low compression, I wouldn't put new plugs just yet.

Did you put any SeaFoam in the spark plugs holes before you ran it for 10min? Put any in the mix gas?

If it sat for a long time, the rings could be stuck, which would cause low compression.

Hopefully running it that long didn't damage anything else.

Go to duckworks and look for Max's reviving old outboards articles.

As before, get a service manual.

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can try rebuilding the carb. It'll be my first crack at it but I'm sure I'll manage (tips appreciated).

What do you mean by reset any needles?

It appears you have one needle valve and a fixed orifice (???). What I mean by resetting the needles is to turn them in until snug and then back them out to a given starting position; to be followed later by fine tuning.

When I put my old johnson 10 back together I could not get it to start. I set the needles to the "good" starting position and nothing. I had spark, and wet plugs. It turned out that the high speed needle was too far out and the engine was flooding, just an FYI.

Anyway, as mentioned previously LeeRoy's Ramblings is great. Check this link Maintaining Johnson 9.9 Troubleshooting and this one Johnson_carb.

Here's a cool video ...

And like was also mentioned manuals are neat.
Use the link provided by jbcurt00 and you can view a service manual. Boatinfo - 1971-1989 Evinrude Service manual

Also, please note that I am very lowly in rank on this board as well as extremely new to playing with this outboard stuff. So, when these guys that have been here for some time make mention of something it is wise to listen.
However, it is all fun stuff to play with anyway. :)

Last edited: