1992 70 HP (VE70TLEND) Evinrude dripping oil from exhaust

SeaChaser175

Recruit
My outboard started running rough like a bad plug and I noticed oil coming from exhaust while running with muffs. I pulled the plugs and all 3 were wet with black soot. I looked into the plug holes and can see black crude on pistons. I checked spark with OEM spark tester and all three wires jumped 1/2" gap. The motor will still push the boat at 30 mph with me and my two boys so it appears to have power but when I increase throttle it sounds like plug is missing. I checked compression but not sure about the seal. All three cylinders showed equal compression but gauge didn't hole the pressure. Could I have mixed too much oil in fuel? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm new to the forum.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1992 70 HP (VE70TLEND) Evinrude dripping oil from exhaust

Welcome to iboats.

When it was running, did it smoke alot? Heavy smoke indicates too much oil. You may want to try new plugs. How old is the set you have? A decarb wouldn't hurt, in the "top secret" thread there is a section called "decarbing motor".
Go to an auto parts store and see if you can borrow a compression tester that will hold the readings and see what you have.
Give these a try and let us know the results.
Start simple and eliminate the easy stuff first.

SeaChaser175

Recruit

Welcome to iboats.

When it was running, did it smoke alot? Heavy smoke indicates too much oil. You may want to try new plugs. How old is the set you have? A decarb wouldn't hurt, in the "top secret" thread there is a section called "decarbing motor".
Go to an auto parts store and see if you can borrow a compression tester that will hold the readings and see what you have.
Give these a try and let us know the results.
Start simple and eliminate the easy stuff first.

Thanks "itsaboattime",

The motor does smoke some. Carbs are clean and the plugs are two months old. I'm getting to the bottom of the tank and I may have added two much oil when I topped it off and fouled the plugs. I'll get another compression gauge as you suggested. I didn't see any holes in the pistons, but, that doesn't mean anything.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not so much worried about holes in the pistons, but compression loss because of carbon build up. You have good spark, and your getting fuel, next is compression. Granted you may have oily fuel but if your compression numbers check out then I would try different fuel with a better oil/gas mix.

SeaChaser175

Recruit

I performed a decarb last night and the spark plugs cleaned up some but the pistons were still covered with carbon and the plugs had some as well. Smoked like crazy. I put 1 can of sea Foam in .75 gallons of 93 octane and ran in 15 min. intervals. Can you decarb more than once. I don't want to damage the engine. Still runs rough. Appears the number 2 cylinder is affected the most.