1991 Evinrude/Johnson 90 HP not charging

78Ranger91

Cadet
I have a 1991 Evinrude/Johnson 90 HP that does not charge while running. Luckily, I have two batteries in the boat and was able to use the trolling motor to get me back. Partially charged the battery. Voltage now is 12.3 engine not running and the voltage drops slowly while the engine is running. here is a link a diagram. I don't have a tach, so checking tach is a no go. This diagram say's it's for a 1986, but it is identical to my 1991. I de-coded my model # and it is diffidently a 91. http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/1986_90_115.jpg

I assume that if I unhook the battery and the engine stays running that this must mean the stator is good? I didn't see this on a flow chart, but if the stator is producing enough energy to provide spark to the coils/plugs then it must be working correct??

Next thing I did was put my multimeter on DC volts and checked from the yellow/grey wire to ground and found 6.5 volts DC at roughly 1500 rpm. I then checked the yellow wire to ground and found around 6 volts on the yellow wire. I then checked for voltage on the red wire leaving the regulator and found zero volts.
(I confirmed zero volts on the red wire leaving the regulator by checking pin #4 on the terminal block to ground and found zero volts. I later checked resistance from terminal #4 to the red wire on the voltage regulator and found 1 ohm of resistance.)

So, I ASSUME this means that the stator is putting out voltage to the regulator, but the regulator is not turning the voltage to dc and sending it back to the battery? Next thing I did was check A/C voltage across the yellow and yellow/grey wire and found around 24v A/C at idle and around 70v A/C at around 2500 RPMS. I again assume this means the stator is working correctly? Is there a "correct" way to test stator output and is there a spec for that test?

Please help me confirm this before I purchase an $79 rectifier/regulator.

Also, my model # boat moter model # is te90tleie. When I google my model # and the word rectifier I come up with this part # 0584204. Found per this website http://www.**********/parts/detail/brp/B-0584204.html .

Is this a common failure part? Is there a place to get this for less than the $79-80 that boats dot net sells it for?

For some reason this website takes the part of the link that says boats dot net and it out. not sure why, but the astericks in the link need to be changed to boats dot net.
If this is a competitor let me know and I'll remove the link?

78Ranger91

Cadet
Re: 1991 Evinrude/Johnson 90 HP not charging

OK. I'm going to order a regulator unless I get any other responses from anyone here. There appear to be a common problem. My model # is te90tleie. I'm showing the part # I need is 0584204... I then searched for a regulator on iboats.com and came up with these options of over 15 regulators.

I enter the year and motor size and came up with 10+ regulators. There can't be that many variations of evinrude/Johnson 90 hp engines in 1991.

Are any of these cross compatible or do I have to purchase part #193-4204?

Thanks for the help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

There are two types of coils in the stator. Those which make voltage for firing the ignition, and those that make voltage to recharge the battery. The engine only needs the battery to crank the starter and when the trim is activated. When running normally, it does not consume any battery power. You are probably on the right track to replace the regulator/rectifier on the engine. That should resolve your charging problems. I think the correct Bombardier superceded part number you need is 585195.

fireman57

Captain

Btw, welcome to iboats. Don't unhook your battery while the engine is running because you will blow the rectifier. The reason the url address gets changed is because that site directly competes with this one and iboats sells parts too. Why would you expect help solving your problem here and then go somewhere else to buy the parts? I don't know that iboats sells this part but I feel if I am going to use the knowledge on this forum I would give them my support when I do need to order something. ishopmarine has full schematics and part numbers if you need them.

DougA2008

Cadet

I would check to see if the magnets in the flywheel didnt move had this problem with my 89 evinrude 150 xp that wouldnt charge. Reglued magnet to original position with JB weld charging just fine at 13.5 at idle. Just thought i would share this.

78Ranger91

Cadet

Btw, welcome to iboats.

Thanks.

I would check to see if the magnets in the flywheel didnt move had this problem with my 89 evinrude 150 xp that wouldnt charge. Reglued magnet to original position with JB weld charging just fine at 13.5 at idle. Just thought i would share this.

The engine continues to run after it is started which tells me the stator is doing it's job. This must mean that the magnets are good.

I was mistaken about not having a rpm gauge. I do have one and it is working as designed. Turns out the diagram I have for a 1986 is wrong. I will need to find a 1991 diagram. My problem is NOT my regulator, I purchased and installed one and it still does the same thing. I just purchased the boat. Stator and regulator are good. There are a bunch of connectors in the boat that are unplugged. The previous owner told me they are "alarms" that where disconnected since the oil is now pre-mix only. I'm going to have to find a 1991 diagram and start over.

78Ranger91

Cadet

I checked around. That diagram is the closest I can find. Even the official evinrude manual has that diagram listed for 81+ 90 hp engines. I never bolted the regulator to the block. I'm wondering if the regulator needs to be "grounded" by way of the mounting bolts. The diagram doesn't show it, but who knows.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The regulator for that engine is actually the expensive combination rectifier/regulator. It is water-cooled and sits atop the block between the two cyl banks. You have to remove the flywheel to remove/install it. There are 1988/89 V4 wiring diagrams in a tab in the very first (top) thread on this troubleshooting website. Called the top secret thread. It is likely more accurate than the one you are using.

78Ranger91

Cadet

Well, as I previously said I have around 23 a/c volts between the yellow and yellow/grey wire leaving the stator at idle and around 70 A/C volts at 2500 RPMS. This is going to the rectifier. Then there is zero volts leaving the rectifier. and 4 volts DC from the yellow wire to ground and 3 volts dc from the yellow/grey wire to ground. So I thought the rectifier was bad and bought another one. I replaced the regulator/rectifier without actually removing the flywheel. (I removed the 5 wires and put the new rectifier wires where the old ones where. It still didn't charge so I took a wire and clamped it to the cylinder head and to the rectifier. This ensures the rectifier is grounded through the block as if the regulator was installed.)

This did not fix the charging issue, even though the regulator is "testing bad". I took the boat to the shop and paid the $90 to have it diagnosed. They claim the rectifier is bad. I asked them if they would guarantee that this would fix the issue, they said absolutely so I told them to go ahead and replace it as long as they guarantee this will fix the issue.

Here's my question. Here's the break down of their charges.
Repair cost: $385
Diag-$90
Part- $117
R&R labor -178. At a labor rate of 90 per hour this would be around 2 hours. I'm an ASE tech and always follow alldata labor times. I can't find "book times" for a boat.. Any idea on how to look up book time for a rectifier on a 91 evinrude 90 hp engine? If book time is only 1 or 1.5 hours I'm going to go in there and let them know what kind of scammers they are. Please help me find book times.

Thanks in advance.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

From the price of the part, looks like they are proposing to replace your combination rectifier/regulator with a rectifier from an 88 model. Any chance you have an 88 instead of a 90? Keep in mind that part of their labor will probably include a test run for 20-30 minutes to verify that the charging system is working properly.