'98 Evinrude 200 Ocean Pro Won't go above 4,000 rpms

devinesZ

Cadet
Back Story: I just bought a '98 Seaswirl Striper 2300 that was sitting at the local marina for 1.5 years. I changed all fluids, drained old gas, installed new water/fuel sep, new spark plugs, new filter on the motor. Carbs cleaned. The prop is a 17 pitch. Starts great, idles great.

Problem: Motor wont go above 4,000 rpms, runs good though, 19 mph. It starts first bump of key, idles all day, no misses sputtering nothing. clean as a whistle to 4k and then it doesnt do anything else.

Fixed so far: New plugs, carbs cleaned, water/fuel sep, new filter on the motor, new stator as it had a burned up coil, all new fluids. I am running double oil right now (i didn't know if the VRO worked) so it has 50:1 in the tank as well as pumping oil.

Next on the list: Compression check and making sure the butterflys are full open under full throttle

Thoughts?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: '98 Evinrude 200 Ocean Pro Won't go above 4,000 rpms

Likely one dead cylinder. Check for good spark and compression.

devinesZ

Cadet

The prop is an aluminum 15x17p. Do you think its a prop issue?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

not unless you are towing a barge filled with logs.....

devinesZ

Cadet

Haha yea not doing that. What should compression be on this motor? Im running new but crap champions plugs as well. Ngks are getting installed tomorrow

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't even think of it......go with QL78YC

devinesZ

Cadet

That is what I have in it. What is the deal with running ngks?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

history has shown issues with RFI and EMI playing havoc with some electronic ignition systems. Noise suppression becomes important. Proven wire type and plug noise suppression have relieved most of the issues. Wire wound inductors found in QL78YC have been documented to reduce RFI to acceptable levels. While NGK has the similar technology in some of there plugs, I has seen no documentation recommending them for this issue. And remember, just because your local auto store can cross a factory recommended champion to another brand, doesn't mean the heat range is identical.

In short, there is nothing wrong with champion, NGK, autolite, and other when they are used in appropriate applications. QL78YC is recommended for your engine, why buck it and possibly chase ghost problems in the future. Go with the law of averages.

devinesZ

Cadet

Got it figured out!! First I cleaned the remaining barnacles off the center of the hull. Second my butterflies werent going full open. So I adjusted the throttle linkage. Was able to hit 33 mph and 4850 rpms. So im hoping once the remaining premix is gone and im running a proper mixture that I will pick up the remaining rpms. If not I might try a 15x16 or 15x15 prop