1985 Evinrude E70TLCOS Choke Problem

DaChef66

Cadet
I have a 1985 E70TLCOS 70hp that the choke is staying open on, Can I rebuild this, Can i shut it off and still run the motor?
Thank's for any help

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1985 Evinrude E70TLCOS Choke Problem

No choke on this model. Are you referring to the primer solenoid?

DaChef66

Cadet

I just read something about a blowback, this is exactly what is happening.. Fuel being blown out of the carb.. How do I fix this??

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

me tinks you should give a better description of your problem.....

DaChef66

Cadet

me tinks you should give a better description of your problem.....

So about a month ago I had the carbs rebuilt, take the boat out 2 times a week, last time out the motor fired up fine, got to WOT fine for about 5-6 minutes, it then started to bog down and I could smell gas. Pulled up under a bridge and pulled the cover and the air intake cover, found gas blowing out of the lower carb, nursed it back to ramp and came home to work on it, thought floats weren't in rite so pulled the carb and adjusted them, still have fuel blowing out carb, noticed that when running I could see fuel going through the primer solenoid, so I checked that and it was stuck open, pulled it cleaned it and jumped it to make sure it was working, it is. So now I just don't know what it could be???

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1.do you have fuel pouring from carb if you continually squeeze primer bulb?
2.did you use fresh gaskets and needle and seat when cleaning carb?
3.did you adjust float level with the carb body?

DaChef66

Cadet

Schematic, Thank you for bearing with me on this,
No I do not have fuel pouring from the carb when i pump the bulb, the bulb gets rock hard
yes i used all fresh gaskets needle and seat when doing the carb
yes the float was adjusted to the carb body
I am at a loss on this one, Today is normally one of my boating days and instead i am going to pull the carb again and just take a real hard look at it!
I also do use a 50-1 fuel mix and seafoam in every tank

Last edited:

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Dumb question, but the red lever on the primer solenoid is horizontal with the body of the solenoid? Also, could the solenoid be sticking open?

DaChef66

Cadet

Good Morning Will, Yes the red lever is set in the rite position, I can here the solenoid clicking so I do not think it is sticking open, If it was I would think I would be getting "Blowback" from all the Carbs?
I am going to pull the lower carb this morning and check the Reed valve, I am hoping it just got gunked up and a little carb cleaner will solve this problem?? I will let y'all now

DaChef66

Cadet

So this morning I found my problem.. Took carb off to inspect reed.. And what did I find in there.. A mounting screw from intake cover.. Must have vibrated loose and found its way in carb.. Thank god it didn't get in the chamber!!

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

boy, thats living dangerously! :)