1992 Johnson 150HP Silver Star Output voltage

rmmasson

Recruit
Good Morning,

I just towed my first power boat home yesterday; a 1986 Grady White 19' Tournament with a 1992 150 Johnson silver star hanging off the back. To my untrained eyes it appears the engine is no charging the batteries while running in the driveway with the ear muffs on. Using a multimeter I am consistently reading 12.25-12.3V at the battery terminals while the engine is running. Voltage does not increase with RPM, nor does it change when I turn the engine off. I'd prefer to have this sorted prior to launching the boat.

How should I proceed to troubleshoot this issue?

I feel like a complete novice with outboard engines, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

rmmasson

Recruit
Re: 1992 Johnson 150HP Silver Star Output voltage

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...ed-regulator-rectifier-joe-reeves-190636.html

This is a test for the tach, but the charging system is related. You should be getting 13.5 at the battery while running on muffs.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Two problems:

1.) I don't have a tach (I will add it to my list of things to do).
2.) I don't have 13.5V while running on ear muffs, so it's safe to assume something is wrong.

Are there any other test procedures for the regulator for those of us without a tach.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Johnson 150HP Silver Star Output voltage

Best thing you could do is buy an OEM Factory Service manual and go from there. All the specs and test procedures are in them.