'01 Johnson 9.9 tiller handle problem.......

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I inherited this 9.9. I'm using it primarily as a trolling kicker, so speed/RPM's is kinda important. I know the knob on the very front is supposed to act as a throttle position tensioner, cruise control, if you will. Well, it will just turn and turn, without ever tensioning. Has anybody had this problem, and was it very hard to fix? I'm thinking about just tearing into it, as I've found a schematic for it, but, would like to hear from anyone who's already tackled this.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: '01 Johnson 9.9 tiller handle problem.......

its not a tentioner, its a idle up. It actually allows you to set the low Idle minimum speed.

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its not a tentioner, its a idle up. It actually allows you to set the low Idle minimum speed.

Well, either way, it isn't doing anything. with motor runnung, it doesn't affect rpms, or, the tension. I should say, I was under the impression it was a tensioner, so, I've only tried to tighten, as in, clockwise. As I turn it clockwise, I can feel a bit of a stop in one spot. How exactly should it work, and, should clockwise be higher rpms, or, lower?

raczekp1

Lieutenant

turning clockwise you just reduce way when trotle handle is turning back

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

turning clockwise you just reduce way when trotle handle is turning back

Are you saying it just keeps the main twist grip from going back to the lowest setting to keep the rpm's a little higher? Also, should the knob get noticeably longer or shorter as it gets turned?

raczekp1

Lieutenant

turning clokwise this knob you should get higher idle speed,
turning counter clockwise lower idle speed

under engin hood at left side is leaver(conectet with trotle cable).
this leaver you can set up by screav.
try to play with tis to set up right trotle tension ( speed knob set up on min)
when done with this you can play with idle knob to get higher idle

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

turning clokwise this knob you should get higher idle speed,
turning counter clockwise lower idle speed

OK, well, the above is actually backwards. I was looking at it, and, since I figured I was going to be tearing it apart anyway, I'd just find out what would happen if I turned it counter clockwise. I thought maybe the whole works would come undone, since the knob kept coming out further and further, but, then it does actually stop turning. While watching the carb, it appears Counterclockwise is the way you turn it to up the idle. Kinda makes sense, since this is the way you would twist the grip for more throttle. This is great! Now I don't have something else to fix!