1970 1.5hp Johnson, oil in test tank & runs rough

ali'i

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just picked up a 1970 Johnson 1.5 hp at a garage sale for $25, before trying to start, I removed the carb, and the gas tank, cleaned both out, put new gas (50-1) in the tank, filled up a garbage can with water, 14 pulls later it started, runs a bit rough at times, but fine at others, have tried adjusting the high/low, but think it might be the plug wire, as its taped in a few places and is so loose the end keeps falling out from below flywheel, does that sound like a cause of running rough? any other ideas? Impeller works fine, but noticed black oil in the water, any ideas? I'm not that mechanically inclined, can fix most, just can't diagnose. Thanks for any help

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 1.5hp Johnson, oil in test tank & runs rough

Better remove the flywheel and look into the ignition system.

nwcove

Admiral

^+1 with the ignition system, the plug wire falling out and taped up is not good, but an easy fix. as far as the black oil in the tank....its quite normal and just unburnt fuel oil mix.

ali'i

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Better remove the flywheel and look into the ignition system.[/QUOTE
forgot to mention that I did remove the flywheel and did and checked points (.020), it was so clean under there I could eat off it..and also the plug looks new, Champion J6C

ali'i

Petty Officer 3rd Class

^+1 with the ignition system, the plug wire falling out and taped up is not good, but an easy fix. as far as the black oil in the tank....its quite normal and just unburnt fuel oil mix.[/QUOTE

the oil was quite a lot, (at least to me) 1ft diameter bucket, oil covered the entire service area of the water, and had to wipe it off the motor leg when I took the motor out,

nwcove

Admiral

^+1 with the ignition system, the plug wire falling out and taped up is not good, but an easy fix. as far as the black oil in the tank....its quite normal and just unburnt fuel oil mix.[/QUOTE

the oil was quite a lot, (at least to me) 1ft diameter bucket, oil covered the entire service area of the water, and had to wipe it off the motor leg when I took the motor out,

still normal.......but if you fix the plug wire issue it may lessen somewhat. the motor probably also needs to have the carb properly cleaned and a kit put in it. also check the lower unit lube and replace with new.